cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this chip away at RV travel

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mexico and the US have relaxed restrictions on flights to Mexico this week. Flight restrictions relaxed

This will definitely expand tourism to Mexico but not by RV

Mexican pilots want restrictions
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
11 REPLIES 11

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing I like about the toll roads is that the population of Mexico that do not have cars.....do not have to pay for roads through their taxes, making it a more fair system. If you can afford to drive a car or a truck or a MH then you pay for the road. If you take a public bus, then through your ticket cost you pay for the road. You don't pay if you don't use it and that imho is the right way.

Many in the US also say they do not use the roads. But they do because almost everything they buy comes by truck. The trucks must use the roads and they must pay tolls and fuel. This is all added to the cost of what we all buy no matter where we are. High fuel costs and tolls and taxes all add to the cost of almost everything. Even relatively locally produced goods have some transportation costs and farming machinery must run on fuel. It all adds up and everyone pays - though indirectly - all these high costs are paid for by all of us in the end. We could say any transportation - even air or train - gets more expensive as fuel costs go up. And fuel is taxed to pay for infrastructure - and air travel is also taxed. Roads all cost money and one way or another we all need them and we all pay for them.

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cool thing on this discussion is that Mexico still offers something for everyone. Don't want to drive? No problem, fly. Renting on the beach is simply less expensive than owning on the beach.

The one thing I like about the toll roads is that the population of Mexico that do not have cars.....do not have to pay for roads through their taxes, making it a more fair system. If you can afford to drive a car or a truck or a MH then you pay for the road. If you take a public bus, then through your ticket cost you pay for the road. You don't pay if you don't use it and that imho is the right way.

Fly ins are the future. I agree with other posters, I prefer to drive everywhere and experience the culture and small towns and it's peoples. I don't put a price on that as far as gas and tolls because I can afford it, and its what I want to do. These days, comparing RV travel between Mexico, the USA or Canada stops making senses from a purely economic vantage point. Do what you want if you can afford it and enjoy your time on this globe. It goes by quick! For Naomi and I - the open road is the way to go! Probably always will be!
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem with using an RV is that one is isolated from the culture.
Try using buses and cabs.
"Immersion" and its appeals and challenges varies from person to person.

The cost of RV travel tends to lose it's advantage due to cheaper local food and lodging, higher fuel cost and toll road expenses.
And there's the risk of accidents.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest factor discouraging RV's right now are the much higher fuel prices in Mexico & tolls, making driving in mexico about 1.5 times more expensive than in the US. That will continue until fuel prices in Mexico start to reflect world oil prices.

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to Mexico by air many times for several months in winter. I have also enjoyed RV'ing in AZ but not in Mexico. I enjoy both but my next trip to Mexico will be by air. Too far and a lot of expense from Canada.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
One of the sort of mottoes of RVing is - "it is not about the destination - it is about the journey". We travel to travel. That means everything we see along the way. I used to love to fly. Now I can't stand flying. I love finding new places and new adventures. That is what RVing is about. Those who love RVing will be on the road no matter what the airlines do. We have traveled in 28 states in Mexico and enjoyed every bit of it. If all you want is to get from point A to point B then you probably should fly. If you want to travel there is nothing like RVing. Opinions vary.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd like to do both. . .explore by jetting in, taking buses and cabs, find stuff that I like and maybe take the RV down.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

Graydon
Explorer
Explorer
This might be our last year bringing our rv to Mexico. We found a small casita to rent for next year for about the same price we're currently paying at an rv park. Saving on insurance, tolls and diesel fuel, we feel we can save more than a thousand dollars by leaving our rv at home and just drive down with our car.

Graydon

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Actually there are Four Couples that We have met over the past 10 Years who have indeed switched to renting Bungalows and I can think of several others who have done the same !

Each Year the RV Parks in Mexico seem to be shrinking or closing up!

That being said there are more and more Mexicans using the remaining Parks ,mostly in Tents,but also more are driving Class C and Class A Motorhomes.

We are toying with the idea Ourselves!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Different type of vacation, different customer base. If the airlines offered free flights to Flagstaff RVers would still drive to the Grand Canyon. JMHO

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt that RV-ers would want to fly down and rent accommodations. JMHO, of course.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8