cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 primary Care and Pain Management while traveling

Jania59
Explorer
Explorer
  • We plan on traveling through the US, Canada and Alaska.  I am disabled and am treated by a Pain Management Physician.  I am being treated by an Orthopedist for back, my shoulder and knees.  I am seen by my Primary Physician for regular treatment.   I have a Medicare Advantage Plan which is fantastic as I have coverage and can see any Provider who is in network.   
    We live in Georgia and we will be traveling to Arizona and am wanting to see how other Rvrs handle care for chronic health conditions?  I am planning on contacting Humana and asking about having a 2nd Primary and 2 Pain Management.   Questions: how does everyone deal with this?    How do you travel with multiple prescriptions?  I am prescribed opioids so how does this work?  Do I need to get a 2nd pain management dr?

thanks in advance 

2 REPLIES 2

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

My DH and I traveled for 15 years with his chronic heart problems. We had no problems getting meds or treatment when needed in an emergency. However,  he did not require opiods. I did for my back and I found that the rules have changed on those. You can no longer transfer prescriptions for those, they must be written by a local physicians and dispensed locally. And generally you must take the paper prescription to the pharmacy in person. Pain management with opiods did not work on the road.

I also would check to see if your Advantage plan will work while traveling. When we made that decision, we subscribed to Part F which covers everything no matter where you are. I think you will find limitations with Advantage. My neighbors living here in Florida full time have Advantage and struggle with getting coverage they need when one of them gets sick. And if they have trouble getting over anything, Advantage refuses to test or cover anything "too soon" after having just been treated for it. They have to continually appeal.  

Be sure to check these things out BEFORE you leave. Check with your insurance provider and your pain management doctors.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II

I am sure others have had more experience with this than myself, however I can give some advice. I had my scrips/meds throught CVS at home. I needed a refill for one and there was no CVS around. The local pharmacy called CVS and the scrip was just transferred no major problem. I would have been easier maybe to drive the little extra miles to the CVS where everything was on file. 

I also had to have shots for wet amd while gone. This required me to find a doctor at my location that does that work. Then I had to have my medical files sent to new doc so he knew what was going on. Scheduling was a problem as had to plan month or two out. 

I feel its almost better doing the leg work yourself once things are in place double check with insurance to see if all is ok. 

Good Luck

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly