cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alberta to Tennessee

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Im starting to think about taking the fifth wheel south for about a month long vacation next fall. If the weather permits we would like to make our way down to Tennessee. How late in the fall do the brilliant colors stay on the trees in Tennessee? If we could leave October 20th what route would be the nicest to travel. Would it be worth loading up a motorcycle or is November a little too cool to enjoy a bike in Tennessee?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
18 REPLIES 18

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Peak color is usually mid-October in higher elevations, to the end of October in lower elevations. Elevations in the Smokies range from 1000-6000 feet.

Temps are also highly variable and can change drastically in a very short time. You might have great weather for riding and it might be awful. If you bring your bikes, bring cold-weather gear.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Yes or No. ????

Most often November is very pleasant in TN, but yesterday 11/21 we had a low of 25 F outside Nashville. There was snow in the Eastern part of the state around Great Smoky Mountains. I think we may have a high of the low 60's for Thanksgiving (the 4th Thursday in Nov) which is different than in CA.

Google to see the average first day of frost. When I was a farmer in TN we planned on the first frost on Oct 20th thus all the leaves will be brown by this time.

While the fall colors are nice, they are not as brilliant as the colors in New England.

If fall colors are what you wish for, I would suggest that around early-October to mid-October you travel east to New England (when I lived in MA the peak color was around Oct 12 -- CA's Thanksgiving) and then south (with the colors) to Pennsylvania. I know that this will add 100's of miles to your trip.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
The leaf color season varies. This year it was late. Who knows what next year will bring. I would plan on mid October to mid November.
Bring your bike and ride the Dragon. One ride you will never forget.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
probably too cold for a bike unless you have heated suits
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.