cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fishing Oregon/Washington + suggested routes from CA.

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to drive up to Seattle from Santa Cruz, CA. will take 4 weeks June/July. 30ft TT and 3 kids.

My husband would enjoy some of this time at campgrounds with or v close to fishing, ideally King Salmon, is this possible in June/July, if so where to stay?! He doesn't mind standing out in the water and being somewhere rustic if can take TT there.

Also, ideas on a good loop route that takes us up to Seattle and back home a diff way? I see from another post we need to book campgrounds ASAP if not already too late...

I'd like to visit Portland and Seattle for a couple of days + then the main natural scenic areas. About to read my Guidebook 🙂

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Casey at waters west https://www.facebook.com/waterswest/photos/a.467408343828.279534.203840168828/10152948084923829/?type=1&theater

jukes wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Check salmon fiahing regs before you waste your time. Salmon fishing is seasonal up here. Deep sea fisining means you will be driving on 101 or the coast. Get reservations as soon as you can. Coast parks fill up fast.

Ok, thank you. I think he'd prefer River/Lake fishing, maybe Ocean but off the beach or pier, (gets sea sick!)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
From Seattle, I would go across to the Olympic Penn., try Kala Loch over on the Ocean. Nice drive into the Hoh Rain Forest, see the glacial river there that is blue grey from the rock flower. Hikes for the kids. There is a Washington St Park E/O Sequim Camp Ramblewood IIRC. There is Deception Pass St. Park on very North end of Whidbey Island.

Fort Stevens in OR., lots of folks but that is a popular time of year. Across the River back in Washington, Cape Disappointment for Lewis and Clark, E/O Fort Stevens is Fort Clatsop where the Corps of Discovery wintered over before heading back to DC.

Not in any order by mileage or importance or activities are Depot Bay, Otis Cafe in Otis, South Beach in Newport and the Aquarium and Hatfield Marine Science center. Another Marine Science Center in Charleston out of Coos Bay, Beverly Beach St Park, South Beach, Several towns in OR have public crabbing docks and you can rent gear, Waldport is one, there is McKinnnley'd Marina and RV part about a mile from the dock in Waldport. Our favorite right now is Winchester Bay RV Resort, lots to do around there, you can even try Camp Sparrow Road out to the Beach and drive on the sand. We took the Suzuki out there. We haven't camped S/O there because we have family in Florence, they have lots of sand dune stuff between Florence and Winchester Bay. Lots of things going on in Yachats all summer.

Check on line for both Washington and Oregon State Parks, they have maps and POIs they will send you absolutely free of charge, hoping you'll visit and have fun spending your money up there.

Oops, Florence and Winchester Bay have BJ's Ice Cream, don't skip that. Lakeside just S/O Winchester Bay has dry camping at the Fairgrounds IIRC. It's just off HWY 101. Crescent City has nice campground called Shoreline RV Park, go to crescentcity.org to make reservations. You can call but they prefer on line.

For Coastal Oregon, make sure you let them know you have a 30' TT. A lot of the coast parks have very few big sites.

I'm sort of bouncing around as I am trying to cover a lot of ground and one comment will jog my memory about something else, like the Samoa Cook House in Crescent City. really good breakfast, lunch and dinner, the Chart Room in CC is crowded on the off season so summer should be an hour or more but the seafood is worth it. The Rougue Brewery Public House is a good family place(a bar too)for hamburgers and their on site made potato chips.

If you need anymore help PM me and I'll see what we can come up with if you are specific about what the kids and you like to do.

David
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone! gives us ideas to check out.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a site that may help with fishing. As others have said - campgrounds fill up on the Coast during the summer - reservations strongly suggested.
Kevin

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to camp right on the water and fish from the beach, I'd do Fort Casey camp ground.

Google it.

the camp ground has no hook ups, but a public bath house.

https://whidbeycamanoislands.com/things-to-do/parks-scenery/in-focus-fort-casey-state-park/

Fort Cassey
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
In Oregon, Salmon usually doesn’t start till August.
For what they charge for out of State fishing licences, you can buy a whole lot of salmon.

If you’re going in June/ July, it’s best to take a charter from Newport for rock fish, and possibly halibut if it’s open at that time. The bonus is they will drop crab pots, and everyone on the charter boat gets their share.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Klamath River for salmon in July. Regs change every year. Sports fishing salmon closed in mid August this year. June is pretty early for any of the rivers.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
fishing Puget Sound in resent years have been dismal at best. fishing regulations are very tight, and the fines are heavy.
it's best to book with a professional tour guide at either Grays harbor or any other charter boat skipper on the coast.
We live here and quit fishing in 1979, when the state started subsidizing the native tribes with my money.

I'll quit here less I get a soap box.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
Great campground and right on the lake. Try Oregon Mt Hood area. Highway 26 from Madras to Sandy to Portland Oregon. Mt Hood lakes are Timothy lake, Clear lake, Frog Lake and Lake Trillium. All great campground and next to the lake. Great Fishing for trout. USFS campground no hookup or dump stations, but plennty of water facets to fill tanks. All paved roads to campground. Need more info PM me.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Check salmon fiahing regs before you waste your time. Salmon fishing is seasonal up here. Deep sea fisining means you will be driving on 101 or the coast. Get reservations as soon as you can. Coast parks fill up fast.

What are your favorite coastal parks? We'd like to consider staying at one or two during the trip regardless of fishing if poss, thanks.

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

Ok, thank you. I think he'd prefer River/Lake fishing, maybe Ocean but off the beach or pier, (gets sea sick!)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II