cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Almost lost reservation in AZ park

michael_tee
Explorer
Explorer
Got a call yesterday from an RV park in AZ where we have booked Jan-Feb-Mar of 2022 (will be first time staying there). They told me that someone else wanted that site, and wanted to be an annual guest, so they could bump us out unless we wanted to go annual also. They offered to help finding another spot in the park (further from facilities). Long story short: the someone else decided they didn't want an Elite spot (costs more), so we didn't have to move.
But what is troubling is that the park can just cancel my reservation if someone else wants that spot, and there are no other spots available, and we don't want to go annual. Note: this will be our first time to winter in AZ, don't know if we'll like it compared to Florida (we live in Georgia).
Anyone had this happen to them? I presume "going annual" means stating I will book that spot each year for the winter.
I don't want to name the park, as I have no hard feelings (at this point, at least).
21 REPLIES 21

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IDman wrote:
Highest bidder takes it! You were buying 3 months; they were buying 12 months.
If you own a business, whoever is spending the most money $$$$ will usually get the most attention. Pretty simple.

Seinfeld: I donโ€™t understand. Do you have my reservation?

Rental Car Agent: We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.

Seinfeld: But the reservation keeps the car here. Thatโ€™s why you have the reservation.

Rental Car Agent: I think I know why we have reservations.

Seinfeld: I donโ€™t think you do! You see, you know how to take the reservation, you just donโ€™t know how to hold the reservations. And thatโ€™s really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them!

OP ---name the park so others are aware of their 'reservation' practice
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
michael tee wrote:
My reservation confirmation does not state any conditions about bumping. I booked the site over the phone, and do not recall the agent mentioned bumping (wife used to be travel again, and was listening the entire time I was booking, and would have remembered that).

My thoughts are that if this happens again, I may say that I will go annual (to keep the reservation), then just not book again. Probably won't book again anyway; as i said, I have never wintered in AZ, and want to see what it's like, but live in GA and FL is much closer!

I presume, the person is paying for the next 12 months (vs a shorter period over the winter).

Poor customer service but if they are looking at $1500 for a couple months over the winter vs $6000 for an annual membership that is very likely to result in future annual memberships...I can see the appeal for the owner.

You can ask for a copy of the rental agreement but it's probably on the website. If they have a clause that gives priority to long term rentals, you effectively agreed to it (the fact you didn't obtain and read the full rental agreement is on you). I would still ask them what they are going to do to compensate you since you aren't getting what you reserved (ie: do they have an upgraded site that they can give you without paying extra for the upgrade...can they give you a discount, free electrics, something else?)

If there is no clause, I would start off by pointing out that you have a reservation for that site and you expect them to honor it. If they refuse...poor form but unless you want to get silly and take them to small claims court or hire a lawyer, not much you can do about it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Highest bidder takes it! You were buying 3 months; they were buying 12 months.
If you own a business, whoever is spending the most money $$$$ will usually get the most attention. Pretty simple.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Michael, I live part-time in the California desert, you will love the dryness in AZ in the winter.

There are no mosquito's in a dry climate, other bugs yes, but not pesky no-seeums, etc.

Safe travels,

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

michael_tee
Explorer
Explorer
My reservation confirmation does not state any conditions about bumping. I booked the site over the phone, and do not recall the agent mentioned bumping (wife used to be travel again, and was listening the entire time I was booking, and would have remembered that).

My thoughts are that if this happens again, I may say that I will go annual (to keep the reservation), then just not book again. Probably won't book again anyway; as i said, I have never wintered in AZ, and want to see what it's like, but live in GA and FL is much closer!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it must have stated that somewhere in their contract? Otherwise....

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I would certainly have hard feelings at this point. I also don't quite understand what they mean by "annual"; book it each year for the same period (do you pay upfront for the next 2 - 3 - 5 years?) or does "annual" mean that they are booking it for the entire year?

Either way, I would have hard feelings if I booked a 3 month site and got bumped for any reason or even got threatened with "bumping".
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II