cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

America's first automated RV park

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Go to. Rvselfpark.com for additional information but there is a YouTube post from a texas couple that explains how it works.

I have no financial interest in this park but find it a interesting concept.
37 REPLIES 37

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I noted above, I'm a big fan but the buy in cost I am having trouble wrapping my head around. If you click on the franchise details they estimate $600-$800k plus the land. Assuming you don't already own the land this is likely a $2-5mil expense. That's a lot of $39 stays to make it up. Never the less, I hope it works out and I see these along highways.

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I personally like the idea. I don't park in parking lots because it's "free". I park because it's convenient. I have "older" campers and many RV Parks and Campground do not want my older campers. The newer RVs might get cooties or something (not sure what). I would like to pull into a parking lot, plug into the electric (to run the AC or heat if needed), dump tanks, get water, walk the dog a few times, roll out the next morning. Or wait out a storm. I don't care to talk to my neighbours (when traveling, I avoid strangers). I think this is a good idea. And it would be a good option for those who start foaming at the mouth over the idea of someone parking overnight at a Wal-Mart or similar store. Basically it's a parking lot with hookups.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I think someone missed something, โ€œ. . . . . when town ordinances forbid it.โ€

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I said, there are exceptions. But, the majority of folks who overnight at Walmarts, etc, are NOT going to pay $39 to park overnight.

And in many areas, $40 will get you a full 24 hours with hookups at an RV Park or campground. And a dry campground could cost as little as $8-$12 with a NP senior pass.

So while this concept at $39 might work in a few areas, it won't significantly reduce the Walmart overnighters or be more cost effective than many other existing opportunities.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
I only think this would work in that way if the cost was minimal.

Most folks parking overnight at Walmart do so because it's a free overnight. Unless the park was under $15, most people won't choose it over Walmart.

Yes, I know there are exceptions to that. But in most cases, folks who overnight at Walmart do so for the cost savings, not because they didn't want to deal with humans at an RV Park.

Per the website, its $39 for 14 hours. That's cheaper than a state park site here in PA. I don't stay at walmart because it's cheap. I stay there because we are not retired and have limited time, so I push every day/night as far as I can go and then start looking for a place to stop. That's usually 10pm to 1am and I never have an idea of how far I will make it (or not). Starting to get tough to find walmarts but when we do we setup generators and cary some water with us. Not the end of the world but would much prefer a secure location with hookups. My wife is always nervous when we stay at walmart or cabelas.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only think this would work in that way if the cost was minimal.

Most folks parking overnight at Walmart do so because it's a free overnight. Unless the park was under $15, most people won't choose it over Walmart.

Yes, I know there are exceptions to that. But in most cases, folks who overnight at Walmart do so for the cost savings, not because they didn't want to deal with humans at an RV Park.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
kfp, everything you have said, I could not agree with you more. This would solve two problems for tired drivers and the public at large, 1) it would remove tired drivers from the road, thus reducing accidents and 2) reduce the number of RVers in say, for example, Walmart parking lots overnight when town ordinances forbid it.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like it. Funny enough, I made a comment to my wife about this concept a few years ago. I hope they pop up all over along highways / interstates. No interest to "stay" here, but boy would this be nice as a last minute stop instead of a walmart during our long hauls. I kind of wish there were no reservations allowed and that you could simply pull up a website on your phone to see availability but first come. That way, at midnight when I'm tired, I can roll in, park (with hookups) for the night, shower in the morning, run AC etc and head out. Should just have sensors that can tell if you are still there and bill you for another 12 hours if you don't leave.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I like it. Not sure I want all RV camping like that but if it fits the need it seems great.

Boscorelli
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Honestly, I was not bashing this idea. I personally don't care for it. Would I use it? Certainly if it fit my needs at the time. There is a place for all ideas....like electric vehicles and automated RV parks...oh, and next will be fast food establishments. You will order at a kiosk and the robot cook in the back will make your order in no time...then you can use the code on your receipt to open the box it gets dropped into. Totally secure and contactless. I prefer mom and pop places to eat myself, so I don't care if people use things like this. There is a niche for everything.

Wow, I like your attitude! ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish today's politicians thought like that.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I could care less if I have contact with a person to check in. About the only thing I get there is advice about things to see and do in the area. I do enjoy talking to fellow RVers in the park. That is still possible regardless of the method of check-in.

I am not about to knock this park. I do believe it is grossly overpriced. I wonder about security and that remains to be determined. It does appear better than truck stops, rest areas, Wally World, Cracker barrel, etc.

Someone invested a huge amount of money and I hope it makes a go of it. Otherwise we will continue to complain about the lack of RV parks. There is room in this endeavor for all parties.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, I was not bashing this idea. I personally don't care for it. Would I use it? Certainly if it fit my needs at the time. There is a place for all ideas....like electric vehicles and automated RV parks...oh, and next will be fast food establishments. You will order at a kiosk and the robot cook in the back will make your order in no time...then you can use the code on your receipt to open the box it gets dropped into. Totally secure and contactless. I prefer mom and pop places to eat myself, so I don't care if people use things like this. There is a niche for everything.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good point Ken. I too believe the whole contactless future will undoubtedly have a detrimental affect on society. Hell, just look at kids these days who can't talk face to face with someone or don't like to go to a store and interface with a cashier. Due primarily to the little 4x2" rectangular device they are glued to.

I also think Valhalla has a great point. Is this campground trying to leverage the whole "we are contactless" bandwagon as a gimmick to draw customers. Who knows, but it is plausable.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
bgum wrote:
Ken,
It is my understanding that you register online and then answer a email to turn on electricity and water and gain use of sewer. After your term expires water and electricity are cut off remotely.

If you think that compares to an envelope in a slot then to each his own.

When we were in Germany a few years back, they had self check-in and electricity was coin operated (50c Euro got you 1kwh, if I remember correctly)...so I think that would qualify as "automated" by your definition.

Honestly, sounds like a gimmick more than anything else.

Staying in a county park in Idaho at the moment. Reservations are online only and no checkin. You just pull into the spot you reserved. The staff doing maintenance, have an app so they can see if a site should be occupied while mowing and doing other tasks, so pretty close to zero labor cost to monitor people trying to cheat the system.

But $50 for a freeway overnight stop is way too high. We are usually looking at $20-30 for those types of stops.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV