Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any eastern PA "Hidden Gems"

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

Well.. as always memorial day weekend snuck up on us so fast that all of our go to campgrounds are sold out. We live in the Philadelphia suburbs and typically camp in the Poconos out to Lancaster area and sometimes along the shore. We really prefer state parks but they are all full (PA & NY) We have a 30' TT and 2 7 yr old twin daughters so I welcome any suggestions of private campgrounds that might be fun. We prefer electric and water hookup but are fine with just electric if there are shower houses. I did find a site at the Honesdale KOA but can't find any pictures or reviews. Also tried the Ocean City MD campgrounds but they are also full.

Any thoughts on a "hidden gem" that might possibly have an open site this last minute? I welcome any and all recommendations. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know how full they are, but you might check with Driftstone on the Delaware. It really is right on the river, and some of the back-in sites near the office are amazing - HUGE, shaded, and with electric (& I believe also water) hookups. They're not far from Stroudsburg, Shawnee-on-Delaware area, the Water Gap, etc. and there are tubing & canoeing - I believe you can even do it right from the CG.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of hidden gems but not much chance of finding a spot this weekend.We love Locust Lake , Pine Grove Furnace and Promised Las State Park s.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While both campgrounds are probably booked up for the weekend, Ricketts Glen State Park is my favorite state park. 22 waterfalls along a 7 mile hike. Dry camping, however hot showers. Some photos here.

On of of our trips to Ricketts Glen we stayed at the Pioneer Campground (water & electric), a fairly short drive to the glen.

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
Up to date as of yesterday,,,a few spots for this weekend... Memorial Day Availabilty

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help you with a specific recommendation, but have you checked out US Campgrounds.info? They show state, county, and city CG's in addition to SP's, SF's, NFS, and NPS CG's. You might find a city or county CG that has openings. Just another option.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

We went through this years back.... ended up at Cherry Hill park near DC.. had a great time , and got to watch Rolling Thunder while there... Great weekend . also there are a few real nice campgrounds south on 81 in Virginia.. real nice area and not too far of a ride... We stayed in New market VA at the Endless caverns... had a fantastic time..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Spring Gulch in New Holland, Oak Creek in Narvon, Lake in Wood in Narvon.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers