cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody tried the new Recreation.gov website?

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe there are some bugs that need to be worked out but, so far, it has been awkward for me to see available sites and available dates for a favorite campground. As a retiree, I am often open to a date range and site selection. Before, it seemed to be easy to see, at a glance, what is available and may even see that I could change sites during my stay.

Maybe it will get better and easier to use after some experience. Guess I, basically, hate change, especially when something ain't broke.
28 REPLIES 28

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
At our most used COE park. (Indian Point in Branson) they don't have a campground map that is updated. They changed the campsite numbers 2 years ago, if I had not known the new campsite numbers I would have booked the wrong site. Sometimes change is good, with this one not so much.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
A company called Booz Allen, the way this thing is currently working, (or not working) Looks like a Boozer off the street made it up.
Every campground I've looked at has this statement, We're unable to display map locations at this time. We're sorry for any inconvenience as we continue to update our data..Most of the site photos that were there are now gone. :M
"Continue to update", how hard would it have been to copy the maps from the old site to this new circus?:M
Remember, the new provider of services made the lowest bid. I doubt the former provider would be willing to provide any more than the minimum required, which may not include maps, photographs, etc to the new provider, particularly since there was a law suit over the change...

charming
Explorer
Explorer
I used it just a few minutes ago to make a reservation at Gunter Hill. The only problem I had was the horrible campground map on the side of the page. I down loaded the campground map and it showed exactly the site I wanted.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

egrove
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I am finding lots of bugs on the new site. You see a site as available on the general availability page for a campground, but when you go to the individual site page, it won't let you book it, saying the date is invalid. I've reported numerous bugs to them.
Eric Grove
Dallastown, PA
2019 Tiffin Open Road Allegro 34PA

View an online map showing campgrounds in the US

Add a Visited States Map to your signature

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
A company called Booz Allen, the way this thing is currently working, (or not working) Looks like a Boozer off the street made it up.
Every campground I've looked at has this statement, We're unable to display map locations at this time. We're sorry for any inconvenience as we continue to update our data..Most of the site photos that were there are now gone. :M
"Continue to update", how hard would it have been to copy the maps from the old site to this new circus?:M
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I agree it will probably go to a "reserve fee" even if you are a walk-in; several places have done that.
My experience with the ones that have changed their website is that is supposedly easier to view on the phones - actually 2 sites recently that have been revised the recreation.gov & another I know of have - have been less "clean" & more difficult to navagate from my home computer. I'm with the others who have said if it's not broke, don't try to fix it!

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just a quick info note on paying for site after all this new 'stuff'...

We were in Gr Smoky NP recently and the ranger told us no one can pay with cash anymore, even in office for first come site.

What that implies, maybe, is that even when you walk-in for an open site, you pay with CC and get into the system -- I expect next will be a reservation fee even if you are walk-in ... like in Custer Park, and even for non-reserve walk-in sites....

That makes NO sense (if it happens) except to increase revenue for the Fed reserve system vendor. Has not happened yet - altho we have not camped with Feds since that change took place - I believe Oct First, not sure tho. That would truly be a bummer to pay a reservation fee for one night on a walk-in while traveling.

We never make reservations, ever, because we like short stays and move on.... but we're retired and not everyone can be that flexible. But paying a reservation fee for one-night more or less eliminates the senior discount, and goes to the vendor, not the park...

We like to support the Feds and state parks, and it does save us a little money too. BUt if the fees keep jumping, it will curtain our camping time AND the Feds and State will probably gain less overall if it begins pushing seniors (The off-season staple support $$$) with added fees - especially those on fixed income would certainly shorten a stay and decrease overall revenue ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried to login and was told my old password was no longer valid, I had to reset my password. Following their instructions, I entered a new password and hit "Reset Password". That got me to a new dialog box requesting my email address. Entered it and received an email which took me to the original opening page. Hit login and entered my new password again and hit log in. Notice: Password invalid. Re-entered my new password and hit "Reset Password", again. Asked for email address again. New email. Same opening page. Same loop. What's going on?
No contact number other than to make a reservation. Live chat is 1 1/2 hour wait.
Why did they fix it? Go back to the old vendor please.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
The new website is in it's infancy. There will be more capabilities coming that were not possible with the old website which are described in the following article. Some of these are good, some I have reservations about, particularly the immediate inventory. I think there will be some challenges in making this work at some of the smaller campgrounds. Here's the article:

October 11 RV Travel
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
fdwt994 wrote:
I find it difficult to navigate, particularly when searching for available sites. Also, less photos of sites are available, and only my most recent stay is listed in my history, unlike the previous site that showed several years back.
only my last 4 are shown, also, I see NO Maps, CG or location. So they're still working on it, mean time you're SOL if you want to use it now. Why didn't they wait till they had it finished & tested BEFORE taking the old site down. :M :M
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
Terrible. My favorite CG they go the wrong CG MAP. IT ALL WRONG. They forgot to show start date for opening of the Campground. Big waste of revenue to fix something that was perfectly fine. Lots of holes in there system. Donโ€™t show reservable and open sites in a map. Map wrong so make me wonder if I am reserving the correct site that I always reserve. Going to be headache that the Camp Host is going to have to straighten out daily. Probably going to be a nightmare for them.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
I find it difficult to navigate, particularly when searching for available sites. Also, less photos of sites are available, and only my most recent stay is listed in my history, unlike the previous site that showed several years back.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
From reading on another RV forum it sounds like they're still loading content. Should get better as time goes on.
I miss the old site though.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The previous site was operated by Aspira, the same folks that run ReserveAmerica. The winning bidder for the Recreation.gov contract was Booz Allen Hamilton, a consulting and digital solutions company. I'm sure the new site will have some infancy issues as they get up to speed, but I didn't find the new setup difficult to use. I had no problems booking a favorite site for next April at Lake Powhatan CG in the Pisgah National Forest near Asheville, NC.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate