cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyother Snowbirds/Winter Texans In a Weather Hold

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We have been sitting for 2 days in a LA SP and hope to be able to move in another day right in the middle of the Turkey day rush ๐Ÿ˜ž
20 REPLIES 20

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like we have liked minded ideas. Took me awhile to figure out what a "pied-ร -terre" was. It has been awhile since I had to use French, but it is a perfect term to use in this case (and a tricky way to spread the French language.:C)

Since you're in the RGV I'm guessing you may have seen the news cast on La Barca, MX.If I was younger, smarter, and faster that stuff wouldn't bother me so much, but at this age it does, so my world has now shrunken.

I think our intent is to have a winter "pied-ร -terre" and pick up a very small 5'ver and 3/4 ton gasser to use on the snowbird shoulder season. The RGV does make sense since it is in the middle of the US allowing easy access all along I40 and south. I don't have to worry about time in the US, just the health care costs :S

Good luck on your plans, and I hope you get to par take in our Thanksgiving tradition today.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
John & Joey:

I say that tongue-in-cheek (I have lived and worked in the topics for many years in the past) :B However, it must be frustrating for those retiring and wanting to seek a stable relatively warm place within a reasonable "drive" running into out-of-character weather.

We ourselves are wrestling with "...just how far south is south enough..." to spend winters at. Its not in character for us to stay in one locale for months at a time, so I can't see us "buying a permanent piece of real estate" in a warmer locale in the US; on the other hand, we debate having a "pied-ร -terre" in a southern location, and doing "short expeditions" to interesting places laterally (east and west) of said (ie. having a "trailer" say in the RGV, and bringing down the truck camper rig for 2, 3 or 4 months during winter to run out to interesting locales in southern Arizona (to boondock and explore ruins and rock art) after a few weeks n RGV, then, coming back to RGV, then running out to Padre Island or even north Florida coast with the truck camper rig (to boondock on the beach and surf fish), then running back to the RGV; etc...repeat.

The alternative to the RGV would be say, Borrego Springs (having a "pied-ร -terre" there), and running out to remote southern Arizona boondocking locales and run down the Baja to La Paz once and a while, to break the monotony of Borrego, etc, for the winter season...

So, the OP's Thread was interesting in that we could run into "weather holding patterns" doing the above IF we choose our "pied-ร -terre" in a locale too far north that puts us climato-geographically compromised, potentially.

Having a "pied-ร -terre" in Mexico, within easy drive of our favorite southern US expedition/boondocking locales as canadians would give us the following advantages:

-no health care cost issues vis the expensive US healthcare (spending enough time in Mexico to opt into their less expensive system; lower foreign health insurance costs; etc, etc);

-not having to worry about the non-resident tax issues "clocked time in the US" if we decide to stay 7,8 or 9 months "in the south" (Mexico has no tax treaty with Canada);

-locating further south in Mexico during the winter would better assure (but not guarantee) more stable warm weather, and offer a better "run" at our fave southern US locals without running into "weather holding pattern" issues (ie. driving south to north to California, Arizona and Texas, rather than driving east to west/west to east, and north to south to get to our mini get-aways)....
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Think we got the last of it till Jan/Feb. They're showing 80's coming up here shortly. Then I'll be crying how a single 13.5 BTU AC can't keep the 5'ver cool.

Never been to Costa Rica, but have been to Aruba a few times. Not such a bad idea of yours. I met a lot of Canadians that go to Aruba for the winter. I'm guessing all of the Dutch ABC Islands would make for a good winter home.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
long range forecast for Mission for Dec-Jan-Feb 2014 shows better than a 60% chance of above normal temps.

....holy Hey-zeus it's cold in the RGV this morning; I hope y'all disconnected your water last evening! Santa Ana station LWRT2 is registering 27F this second; Brownsville KBRO is datalogging 39F...C3172 Mission is logging barely 34F.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a warmer winter (I hope!) for the RGV...

Florida's KBKV (Springhill, near Port Richie is showing an audited 33F. And, Pensacola is 31F (geeeez!). Forget the southern US for winter; hello Costa Rica or Aruba!
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I am not saying there is a conspiracy with the Chamber of Commerce, but have you ever noticed that the local weather people always say that it is going to be great in "Just a few more days"? It is forty degrees this morning in McAllen, Texas, but just stick around a few more days.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a good site right here on RV.net/snowbirds. Hope you are saving a lot of money by not being in Florida.:B Look at all that dark red warm water that the Gulf Stream will be bring to SE Fla over the next several months.

You might want to start following Joe Bastardi who uses weather history to make forecasts. The bad news is the current various natural forces are looking more like those of the mid 70s which froze many of the citrus groves, even in Florda.
If it's any consolation, I'm still in N GA freezing by backside off wondering why I'm still here.:S
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
A space opened up in the SP we are staying at and so we decided to just RELAX until have after Thanksgiving. Not excited about getting out on I10 with all the holiday travelers, and shoppers. We don't really need to get to TX until the first week of December. This is the way we flow....slow! Happy Thanksgiving:)

Makes a lot of sense. Only downside will be the gas mileage with the head wind that will surely start coming out of the south after the holidays.

May your stuffing be tasty

May your turkey plump,

May your potatoes and gravy

Have never a lump.

May your yams be delicious

And your pies take the prize,

And may your Thanksgiving dinner

Stay off your thighs!

Happy Thanksgiving

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Still the best weather map out there.
Click anywhere on the map and the local weather report will pop up.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

aauummm
Explorer
Explorer
The weather forecast for Mission, TX shows a high of 72 for Friday, Nov 29 and 81 for Sunday, Dec 1. Not too bad, I'll take it. NOAA's long range forecast for Mission for Dec-Jan-Feb 2014 shows better than a 60% chance of above normal temps. Looking very good!
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, Kelderman Air Suspension System
Roadmaster HD rear swaybar, Safe-T-Plus, Blue-Ox Tow bar
2011 Honda CRV toad
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toad
two cats and the wife

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
A space opened up in the SP we are staying at and so we decided to just RELAX until have after Thanksgiving. Not excited about getting out on I10 with all the holiday travelers, and shoppers. We don't really need to get to TX until the first week of December. This is the way we flow....slow! Happy Thanksgiving:)

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Traveled in rain all day yesterday after a breezy overcast Sunday when we left the Baton Rouge area. This morning I awoke to the sound of no rain, at a very nice city park north of Sinton Texas on US181. Rob and Bessie Welder RV Park has paved roads and sites, full hookups with some pull throughs. So today my Delorme Street Atlas informs me of 171 miles until we park Phaeton Place in Mission for 4 months. My only request, is that someone turn up the heat..it was 80-85 in the Everglades when we left Sunday a week ago.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
The warmest cities (higest average annual) in the usa with a population of 50k or more:

-the warmest of the 101 us cities are in florida (the top most 37 all in florida);
-hawaii only makes the list from 38 onward;
-the next warmest by region is idnio, california (north of borrego desert);
-the next warmest by region is pharr, texas (and the other cities in rgv);
-the next warmest is havasu, arizona;
-yuma, arizona is way down the list at 78 in the among the coolest of the warmest;
-tucson is the 4th coolest at #98

*remember, these are the warmest cities with population of 50,000 or more in the us; data by nws (national weather service); the spread between warmest and coolest is only 8.2f these rankings change every year, of course
Silver

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Thank God for global warming.

Cat Lady
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Yes winter Texans, this could be one of our crappy winters. It is very early for it to be this cold and rainy. We are hoping it is not a sign of things to come like 2 winters ago when we froze our nah nahs off for most of the winter. Oh well the propane guys are happy....and yeah, hope there are lots of theaters in the Valley......But Hey it's Texas, you can't predict the weather here....lol lol lol
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!