cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Assateague Island

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to plan a trip here next year but struggling to find something that works for us. We would be going with another camper. Neither of us are set up to dry camp and do not want to try to. We would need electric. Sewer would be nice but I have 2 black tanks and can go a minimum of a week without issues. I would also need a pet friendly destination.

If I didnt have a home generator I'd think about buying one of the cheaper inverter ones but that would be a waste for one trip.

Being a popular destination I figured a lot of people on here have visited and figured this area out already.

Anyone have any good locations close by that they can recommend? Thanks in advance.
36 REPLIES 36

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
2012Oudoorsman wrote:
I'd like to plan a trip here next year but struggling to find something that works for us. We would be going with another camper. Neither of us are set up to dry camp and do not want to try to. We would need electric. Sewer would be nice but I have 2 black tanks and can go a minimum of a week without issues. I would also need a pet friendly destination.

If I didnt have a home generator I'd think about buying one of the cheaper inverter ones but that would be a waste for one trip.

Being a popular destination I figured a lot of people on here have visited and figured this area out already.

Anyone have any good locations close by that they can recommend? Thanks in advance.

Assateague State Park if you book NOW at https://parkreservations.maryland.gov they have 1 electric only loop. Might get lucky in find a couple of openings.

FYI I have 2 reserved sites for 2018 and was told they are planning on opening a 2nd electric loop for 2019

Good Luck
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live not too far and camp at the shore a couple times a year. I've never camped at Assateague and just don't understand why its so popular. I've visited friends who were there and it looks miserable! The national park has no electric and you couldn't PAY me to bake on that beach with all the bugs and no AC. The state park is better, but I just don't understand the appeal.

Cape Henlopen State Park, on the other end of that beach strip in Rehoboth is MUCH nicer in my opinion. Full hookup state park, surrounded by pine trees so you have shade in the summer, easy access to a gorgeous beach area, easy access to Lewes (beautiful Victorian town with some shops and restaurants) and about 20 minutes to Rehoboth Beach which is a very nice beach town with stores, snacks, restaurants, breweries, outlets, etc.

Clearly I prefer the Delaware beaches to the Maryland side.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The SP has the hookups but is in very high demand & out in the wide open. The National seashore, dry camping, is far nicer. The beach side of the road is mostly open but the bay side has many sites private, well separated & in the trees.

We have not been in the area at the height of the season, don't think we'd like that, but even shoulder season the bugs rule.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Bring about a gallon of DEET per person, the skeeters are brutal! If you're on the beach, and the breeze is coming off the water, you're ok, but otherwise they make for quite the unenjoyable experience.

We stayed at the koa....it was a typical koa, but we had a great view of the lighthouse from the site. Only problem was, we really couldn't enjoy sitting outside too much. Did I mention the skeeters?

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
The 50 or so electric sites Allow dogs however those sites book up pretty much as soon as they become available. There are around 100 sites that allow dogs but donโ€™t have electricity. I also considered picking up an EU 2000 when I stayed there in August last year for a few days but we survived with our 300 W of solar. The steady breeze off the water made it quite Enjoyable.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
You can also stay in Chincoteague and access the south end of Assateague Island through the National Park. No pets allowed in the National Park, though.

We stayed at Pine Grove campground on Chincoteague this past fall, full hookups, shady sites, a short drive from lots of cool stuff. About 45 min drive to get to the north end of the island from Chincoteague. There is a KOA and amusement park near the access to the north end of the island.
We left our pup in the camper one day, took him to the state park up north the next day, which is how we found out it was a 45 min drive to get to the north end, didn't do our homework on the National Park pet policy.

Tom's Cove campground on Chincoteague Island has waterfront sites, on the inlet, but reservation system is a little old school, have to mail in a check.

Tough to get an actual spot on Assateague Island, spots go very quickly when they come online.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Assateague State park, in Maryland. Water and electricity, pets allowed, even on some beach areas, but be careful, wild horses do come into the CG, and some dogs get antsy.
Check the NASA website for Wallops Island launch dates, and you may be able to catch one of those on the same trip.