cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FURNACE CREEK, Death Valley in the Summer.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
With FHU has anyone camped in June. Will 2 A/C keep my 30 foot 5er cool. It does not need to be cold only cool enough to sleep.

Or am I crazy . . . :R
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
24 REPLIES 24

GERALDEAN
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Pahrump in July for a few days when prevailing daytime temps were 117 degrees. Not terribly uncomfortable with AC set at MAX but I don't want to do it again. You've got to really want to have that experience.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The tow company from Lone Pine makes daily runs into the park. ๐Ÿ™‚ It won't take long to get service.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Furnace Creek on Christmas morning coz nothing says Christmas like DEATH VALLEY, LOL. It's sold out. Not a single spot left. Typical California National Park Camping. Forecast is 38F at night and 65F during the day. LOVELY!

Can you do it in the summer? Sure. Everything may go very well and you WILL NOT HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING A SPOT. Any time I don't have a problem booking a site at the last minute in a NP in CA, I have to figure out why. With the potential for 120f during the day, IF anything breaks or goes wrong, say with your AC or Gen, you will be sleeping on the floor of the visitors center if you are lucky. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good luck and have fun. I certainly hope you do. Tell us how it goes as I love reading trip reports.

daireemt
Explorer
Explorer
We camped @ Stovepipe in September and was supposed to be upper 80s and turned out to be 110+. With hookups we survived quite well. We used the reflective foil in the windows and kept blinds pulled. We stayed 3 nights and did most of our sightseeing in the morning and evenings. A/C ran nonstop, and fridge seemed to do just fine. Enjoyed our trip and would do it again in a heartbeat.
(P.S. DW and I are in the minority here as we can stand a lot of heat but just despise cold...)
Daireemt--"I thought it would take longer to get old."
Dear Wife of 37.5 years
2004.5 Chevy Duramax
2007 Jayco 28.5 RLS

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Save a trip to Furnace Creek for winter or early spring. Going in the summer is asking for trouble.
E.Lee Galik

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
As one who lives in the Mojave desert I can say that the night time temps will not be that much different when the sun does down. Yes it's cools a little and the sun load is gone but at midnight it could still be over 100. Lows at that time of year will be in the 90's. RV A/C units will not keep up.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have to ask if you're crazy, then you just might be ๐Ÿ˜›
Unless you're a Vulcan I'd advise against it.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the forecast calling for highs in the upper 80's, we ventured west to east from 395 through the valley in late September. BIG mistake! By 1000 we had gotten to Panamint Springs and it was 110 and the climb up and out from there generated the highest coolant and trans fluid temps I have ever seen {225/230}.

Weather forecasts in DV are not to be trusted just about any time of year. We made it out to Pahrump but as noted our frig was working overtime without much in the way of good results.
To answer the OP's original question... YES, you are crazy if you venture into DV in June. :B

You might get away with it but why put you, your family and the rig through it? If anything goes wrong {breakdowns, flat tire etc.} it is going to be a huge problem very quickly. Roadside assistance and cell coverage are spread pretty thin. Death Valley is amazing but choose your moment carefully and then you can enjoy... safely.

I am in the early planning stages of the Iron Butt Association's Heaven to Hell endurance ride from Pike's Peak to Bad Water. It will be tricky balancing the weather on each end of this {motorcycle} ride. Don't want to get summer temps in DV or winter on Pike's Peak. Hoping for a weather window in late April - mid May.... either way it should be a hell of a ride. {see, I do know a little bit about crazy... LMAO}.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Never been there myself, but just the name of the place says it all: DEATH valley!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
With FHU has anyone camped in June. Will 2 A/C keep my 30 foot 5er cool. It does not need to be cold only cool enough to sleep.

Or am I crazy . . . :R

:):):) I think you answered your own question:):):) Death Valley is absolute must to visit BUT in early spring, ie Feb. ,March,April. The desert heat is real different in that it is a dry heat which makes it less tolerable. The lack of any humidity just adds to the real heat temps. in Death Valley.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the fridge and a/c inability to cool. As has been said, stay outside the valley and venture in EARLY (7AM early) to sightsee and flee before 11AM.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The refrigerator needs to have at least one fan on the top to pull air out, otherwise you will have a temperature inversion and the refrigerator will not work you also need to drink a lot of water, not sodas with sugar "WATER" and have good sun protection, look in the internet the simtoms of heat stroke, you do not need to be in the sun too have one, temperatures in the 112 to 122 are comon in the valley, it sits below sea level and it really feels as an oven.

Let the rangers know were you intend to go and carry water with you, I still think you are craisy, DO NOT TRUST THE GPS AT ALL IN THE VALLEY use a map from the visitors center.

If you brake down stay with the vehicle and mark an SOS on the dirt next to the vehicle and use the underside as shade not the inside, to hot and carry plenty water.

navegator

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Stovetop Wells and Furnace Creek have electric sites and I think you'll be fine for a day or two. You won't be out hiking - or shouldn't be - so if you just want the 'experience' of being there in summer - go for it. Park so your refrigerator side gets shade, if possible. Keep your window coverings down. The foil insulation on the windows would do wonders and you could re-use it during some colder weather camping. We dry camped there in May and lasted one night. In fact, we spent most of the night sitting outside. We had been there before in good winter weather so this wasn't a site-seeing trip. We were just passing through on our way to CA395.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
it will be unbearable. your a/c and fridge will not keep cool against that heat.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.