cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Autumn Colors

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW is concerned about the viewing of the color of the trees on our trip. Leaving StL with stops at Chickasaw State Park, TN, then either Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park, Brierfield Ironworks Historical State Park, or Oak Mountain State Park before heading to St. Andrews SP. Should have nice color this far, but we plan to travel the coast, crossing Mobile Bay, and onto Sam Houston Jones SP with several camps along the way. Mobile Bay west is virgin territory for us. Any color there, or what sights, besides the Gulf?
Eatery suggestions will not be turned down, just not fond of spicy cooking.
Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
8 REPLIES 8

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
DW is concerned about the viewing of the color of the trees on our trip. Leaving StL with stops at Chickasaw State Park, TN, then either Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park, Brierfield Ironworks Historical State Park, or Oak Mountain State Park before heading to St. Andrews SP

I think the route through Tennessee and Alabama should have some good color at this time of year.

For our part we are going to come up your way into northern Arkansas and southern Missouri (Branson area--not necessarily Branson itself)--mostly in Arkansas. We have seen some spectacular leaves around Fayeteville, AR in the past. We might be a week early, but we are ready to go. We will enjoy it whatever the seasonal color.

We have stayed a couple of times at least at Tannehill Ironworks State Park. Just get there before Halloween as they are usually filled to capacity on that night. We were there one Halloween, but that was before it has become so popular. It was great then, I don't think we'd enjoy the crowds as much as it is now.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
The best colors we have ever seen was when we lived in Massachusetts...never seen any better...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the input. What I was/am mainly interested in finding out is what the Louisiana, Lake Charles/Palmetto Island area is like. I take it that it is mostly swamp type land. Do the trees turn color or is the weather change not enough to be a factor. First time to the area and don't know what to expect, but regardless won't change our trip plans. The entire area sounds well worth seeing and look forward to it.

Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Your plan may be set for Chickasaw State Park but I would suggest Natchez Trace State Park, same area, much nicer park.
I have never liked the sites at Chickasaw, nice park just bad campground, in my opinion. Maybe in the area another would be the TVA Campground in Pickwick. Enjoy the trip, hope this helps.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
The colors in our section of Northern Wisconsin are nearing their peak. It is absolutely beautiful up here!
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Tennesse is best for fall colors. Tannehill is definitely a nice state park.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some trees do turn color down here in Florida but they are amateurs compared to what happens up north. So in a mass of green you may see a few yellow or red trees. Close up they look more scabrous than pretty in my opinion. Central Georgia is about as far south as I have seen any real fall color. I'm sure north Alabama has fall color as well.

I'm actually leaving in the morning for the Smoky's to get some fall color photography done.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always go to high country behind Harrisonbug VA where the VA/WVA wooded state line border is. Fall leaves are great up there... They should peaking here soon...

They are not too bad here in Northern Neck VA as well...
Most beautiful time of the year...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS