cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Henderson Beach State Park, Destin?

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trip planned soon and was wondering if anyone could tell me how far it is to walk to the beach from the campground? Is it a really long walk? I am just getting over a broken foot and was trying to figure out if I can get around. Looking at google earth pictures and since we will have to change campsite locations in the park, I was hoping we could just move down to beach parking for the day and be closer. We are going during the week so hopefully it won't be crowded. Any info appreciated, thank you.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab
8 REPLIES 8

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
aerbus32 wrote:
I'd seriously consider reservations.

We do have reservations, we will have to move. Have reservations for 4 nights and 3 different campsites within the park. I will be able to find my way around after this trip.

Thanks everyone for all the information. Any great places to eat or info on things to do welcome. This is our first real trip in the motor home, so if you think of anything I must bring let me know. I'm a pretty heavy packer but I know I will forget something.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
We will be there the week of thanksgiving in site 57. Reservations are hard to get at this state park we were lucky to get the spot we did back in July of this year for thanksgiving week it was the last site available. Very nice park we have only drove though there and never camped there. We go to Grayton Beach a couple times a year just wanted to try this one out this time

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
I'd seriously consider reservations.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I would say the boardwalks from the CG are fairly short and a pleasant walk. Your mobility will dictate if it is tolerable.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
we have been at henderson the last 2 years. you can drive to the day use area from the campground and the boardwalks are 100 yds at the longest and one 50 yds or less. we parked at the shortest boardwalk and it was great. clean restrooms at the day use area. We have reservations for april of 2016. private message me if you have any questions about the area or campground.

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
How far you walk to the beach depends on where your campsite is located. Some are very near the road leading down to the beach. BUT the road to the beach is very steep. I don't think it would be an easy walk with a bad foot. My wife has bad feet. We walked down to the beach several times. She was really lame each time we got back. She laughs, "I thought I was going to have to be helicoptered out of there."
It is a beautiful park but the grades are pretty tough for someone with bad feet.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Compared to the distance from the parking lot, I'd say pretty for with a broken foot.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow57 wrote:
We have a trip planned soon and was wondering if anyone could tell me how far it is to walk to the beach from the campground? Is it a really long walk? I am just getting over a broken foot and was trying to figure out if I can get around. Looking at google earth pictures and since we will have to change campsite locations in the park, I was hoping we could just move down to beach parking for the day and be closer. We are going during the week so hopefully it won't be crowded. Any info appreciated, thank you.

Since no one's taken a stab at this, I'll try ... I've never stayed in the campground, but I did drive through a couple years ago. From the day use area where we went, there's a parking area the boardwalks there are only 50 yards long or so. I think you can drive there from the campground. I don't recall a parking area for beach access at the campground (sorry) but the trail to the boardwalk is maybe a tenth of a mile, and then the boardwalk itself is surprisingly long, like maybe another couple tenths of a mile? It snakes around going over and through the dunes so it's longer than one might think. It's a very interesting walk, but maybe not so much if you're nursing broken foot.
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1