cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AZ camping in March

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
I was wanting a little trip before the heat comes, unfortunately my dh only has weekends off so it makes it a little more of a risk to just show up. It seems most of the lower elevation campgrounds like around Sedona are booked already...I had no idea. Does anyone have suggestions for a nice spot that we can hopefully slip into without reservations. We have a 25 foot travel trailer and don't care about hookups.
17 REPLIES 17

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great tips. I was feeling nervous about the size of sites and narrow roads at Bonita but will just be super careful. I did know about the flooding possibility and the big dips in the road. My Sonoma has super high clearance but I always worry about the awning getting damaged. I will just walk ahead and watch as dh drives...keeping advice to a minimum of course.

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Bonita Canyon is beautiful. Lots of great hiking trails too. Make sure you drive up to the top for some stunning views and rock formations. The sites are very small though. I had to squeeze my 20' trailer into the site I had. Besides being short they are narrow. Also watch for overhanging tree branch as you leave, it's got a lot of scars from run ins with people who weren't paying attention.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
For Bonita, if rain is forecast right before or during your stay, you may want to check with them before arriving just to make sure it's open. That campground is subject to seasonal flooding and at times can be inaccessible.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Lost Dutchman State Park (stunning views and lots of hiking trails) has a certain number of non-reservable first come first served spaces. They also use a group site for folks to camp that are waiting for regular spaces to open up.

The other various AZ state parks may also have some first come first served spaces -- check their websites.

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
I did try to get into Dead Horse...totally booked. We stayed at Canyon Point last summer and it is lovely but too much elevation in Feb. I just made reservations for Bonita Canyon. It is a little farther than I wanted to go at over three hours but looks sweet. There are only 26 sites and most of them are under 20'. It looks like awesome rock formations and with my senior pass I am only spending $15.00 a night..love that. I haven't been down this way before so it's an adventure.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried Dead Horse Ranch State Park? We also like Canyon Point and Houston Mesa.

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all for great information

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The folks at the visitor center in Sedona are very helpful -- they know the good boondocking areas and are willing to tell you where they are! And there are plenty of spots that are at around 4000 feet, which should be fine in April -- not too hot, not too cold.

When you go to the visitor center, save some time to play around with the marimbas just outside the main entrance -- really fun. They are tuned to a pentatonic scale, so you can't miss -- any pattern you play will sound great!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Patagonia Lake SP is one of our favorites but you will need reservations as far in advance as possible as it is very popular. Karchner Caverns SP is another nice park and the tour of the caves is awesome, again reservations are advised. Anything over about 6,000' in southern Arizona will probably not be opening until May first.

Roper Lake SP in Safford is nice and they even have a a natural hot spring on the grounds. There are a number of private hot springs spas in the area as well.

:C

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Bonito campground in Coconiino National Forest is less than an hour from Sedona but, at 6,900', a little higher. Nice campground with large wooded sites, clean johns and a great location.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Thousand Trail Road disperse camping is closed for 3 years to allow for restoration and to let the land to heal. The popularity resulted in over use and with overuse came overcrowding and with overcrowding came too many slobs and pigs, and with slobs and pigs came destruction and with destruction came AREA CLOSE.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that's a bummer. Do you know why they closed it?

Haven't been to Patagonia in 20 years, but I recall it being very enjoyable.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:

There is boondocking available off the road to Thousand Trails, which is off Hwy 260 between Camp Verde and Cottonwood. Also boondocking on FR 525 which is off Hwy 89A between Sedona and Cottonwood.

Note that the dispersion camping area off Thousand Trails road has been closed down. ๐Ÿ˜ž

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Janss. I also love all those you mentioned but they all seem to be booked already so I was looking for a new adventure. It's still a little cool for the 7,000 plus camps. I am looking at Patagonia Lake State Park. Anyone know it? It is a little farther than I wanted and at $30. a little pricey for us but might be worth a shot. We will be at Aspen (out of Payson) for memorial day and it is my favorite. Thanks for boondocking directions