Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Balboa Island, Newport beach, California

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a thought. Please do not be mad.

Public parking at Balboa Island, Newport beach, California allows overnight parking. Vehicles may park up to 7 days without exiting the lot, but they do not allow overnight Camping/Sleeping in Cars or RV's.

I understand the restriction is in place to prevent people from partying in the parking lot overnight, but if you just quietly close your RV door, turn off the light and sleep until the morning. What can they do about it? ๐Ÿ™‚ Have you done this before?

It seems to me that hotel owners in the area want you to pay for RV parking and sleep in their hotels.

Restrictions here:
https://www.newportbeachca.gov/i-am-a/visitor/parking/city-parking-lots-and-metered-parking
6 REPLIES 6

tnscoutr
Explorer
Explorer
If the rv is in the lot with no lights on and slides are not out, how would anyone know if you were sleeping in it or if the rv is just parked?
06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
2015 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
CodyClassB wrote:

Is that safety reason or hotel owners' pressure ๐Ÿ™‚ ?

Having grown up not far from there, my guess is safety. First just your basic "know your neighbors" concern about folks sleeping in areas where there are no patrols.

But the more likely reason is tied to homelessness being a very big challenge in California. There are areas where folks are using RVs as lodging of (nearly) last resort and they often ignore regulations related to sanitation (dumping their tanks). Those same folks often have mental health and substance abuse problems.

If you want to pay through the nose, the Newport Dunes has a very nice RV CG. My in-laws spent a lot of time there about 20 years ago.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rice,

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to the post. I wasn't being foolish nor did I wanted to cheat on the system. I just found that it is a little strange that they allow cars/RV to park overnight up to 7 days, but they do not allow to sleep or camp in the car/rv.

Is that safety reason or hotel owners' pressure ๐Ÿ™‚ ?

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
Not sure what parking lot you're referring to on Balboa as I didn't think there was one. But, sure, park your Class C and let us know if the cops roust you in the middle of the night. Those multi-million dollar home owners might not want an RV parked out front.

If you look at the link he posted, you'll see that there are two parking lots that allow vehicles to park for seven days without leaving the lot. So it won't be in front of someone's multi-million dollar home.

bikendan wrote:
having been there many times, i'll bet you money that if you parked your RV there overnight, the tow truck or police will be waking you up real quick.
those wealthy owners will drop a dime on you, in a heartbeat.

But parking overnight is allowed in these lots. The police might be knocking on the door to see if anybody's in there "camping," but I don't see any basis for towing.

To the OP: I'm sure you'll get better information about this sort of thing on vandweller sites and the like, where people stealth camp all the time. I'm sure there are reports about what encounters with the cops are like when someone tries to get away with staying in a vehicle where it's not permitted.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
having been there many times, i'll bet you money that if you parked your RV there overnight, the tow truck or police will be waking you up real quick.
those wealthy owners will drop a dime on you, in a heartbeat.

i think you're foolish to think you could get away with it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what parking lot you're referring to on Balboa as I didn't think there was one. But, sure, park your Class C and let us know if the cops roust you in the middle of the night. Those multi-million dollar home owners might not want an RV parked out front.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE