cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beach Camping Gulf Coast

BFSLINC
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any suggestions for decent parks that offer beach camping? We have a 25ft C class and travel with 2 dogs. Would like to be on waterfront or very near to ocean. The furthest West we've been on the Gulf is Panama City Beach. We are now coming from Colorado. Thanks for any ideas.
22 REPLIES 22

glenntwo
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
AlabamaTraveler wrote:
glenntwo wrote:
Florida is way too loud now.

No body goes to Florida anymore......its just too crowded.

We do

To each his own, but I used to live in South Florida, in Hollywood Beach. For the first five years or so it was great, but once Broward County just exploded with development, it got to be too much.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
AlabamaTraveler wrote:
glenntwo wrote:

We do
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
glenntwo wrote:

Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

glenntwo
Explorer
Explorer
catmancando wrote:
ft Desoto sp Pinellas co fla

Thanks but I'm looking for South TX. I lived in S. Florida for years before I moved here. Florida is way too loud now.

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
ft Desoto sp Pinellas co fla

glenntwo
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:
Port Aransas, Texas

http://www.cityofportaransas.org/beach_permits.cfm

Matt B.

Don't bother...Port Aransas has become openly hostile to RVers parking on their beaches. They say that three days is the limit and then you have to leave the city. Not move to another spot, but leave the city limits completely. Last week they were actually banging on the sides of folks units in the middle of the night, yelling at them to leave the city limits.

I have wintered down here for several years , and this is the first time this has ever happened. In the past, Port A. would welcome the boondockers that came down and parked on the beach for a month or so. It was the slow time of the year, tourist-wise, so they brought in money to the stores, bars and restaurants on the island. And, PAPD actually liked us because we would call them whenever we spotted problems out there. Likewise, businesses like the Beach Lodge would welcome us with open arms. A lot of us would also take it upon ouselves to pick up trash left behind by tourists.

But now, it appears they are slowly trying to drive RVers and "Winter Texans" out in favor of folks who can build million-dollar homes, which went up at a record rate in town this past year. Getting rid of the "beach people" is obviously the first step. They have also prohibited the construction of any new RV resorts on the island.

It's too bad, because with over ten miles of beach, you could park way down the beach and and maybe see one or two cars a day, or you could park closer in, and bicycle to the grocery store or any of the other businesses in town. Business that, by and large, are not happy about the city and the police depatment harassing these folks. But now, it appears that Port A. wants to become some kind of Texas-style Hamptons.

I'm gonna miss Port A. Anyone know of another South Texas beach where you can boondock without a hassle?

hsb407
Explorer
Explorer
I do not take my dog to St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. There is very little space for walking dogs and snakes abound. In the years we have been there, we have seen 2 rattlesnakes and 5 cottonmouths in the campground itself. These were not all small snakes either!

BFSLINC
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the great suggestions. We will be checking them all out.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with topsail. Matter of fact we are going back there in April for 3 nights and then down the road to Grayton Beach SP. It appears to be a decent one as well.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will bookmark this thread. It's got some nice parks in it.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Agree completely on St. Andrews State Park in Panama City. Add: Ft. Pickens Campground near Pensacola which is a unit of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, and Gulf State Park in Alabama. These three offer access to the finest beaches in the nation--none right on the beach but with easy access. Also agree with Topsail Hill. All these are popular and require reservations early.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
St Andrews State Park in Panama City beach. They have bayfront water sites. The park is a peninsula and you can get to the beachside easily.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Mustang Island State Park near Corpus Christi TX has 50Amp/W spots about 100 yards from the beach - or your can take your rig onto a 1.5 mile stretch of beach and dry camp. Check with the rangers first, and drive the beach in a small vehicle before going out there.

In October, I saw a 35 ft DP about 1 mile down the beach.

Padre Island National Seashore - a bit further south has 5 miles of on the beach dry camping available for non-4x4 vehicles - 60 miles for the 4x4 crowd. There is also a dry campground with toilets and tables right off the beach before the pavement ends.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

HappyCamper89
Explorer
Explorer
St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, Florida. Beautiful natural beaches. No high condos or hotels. More of an "Old Florida" feel. The Gulf Loop sites are very close to the beach. The beaches on the entire island (Cape San Blas) are dog friendly. Dogs are welcome in the state park but not on the beaches there. Only 30 minutes from Appalachicola, the oyster capital.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/stjoseph/
2009 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB
2007 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Extended Cab Duramax