cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Sur, California camping recommendations

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recommendations for RV camping in the Big Sur area. We have a 35 ft TT and prefer hookups. We're coming up from So Cal but have never camped in that area.

Also looking for the best time of year to go as I know it can get foggy up that way.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
6 REPLIES 6

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
IMO Fall is the best time of the year for that stretch of the central coast. Warm days, limited fog and wind in the Fall.

We have always day tripped Big Sur from San Simeon/Cambia. I have camped there several times in my tent days, once in a 29' TT that was very tight, now that we are in a 33' TT Big Sur has been removed from consideration.

Previous camping has always been at the state park. I have called Fernwood, Big Sur CG and Riverside --- none made me feel all that confident that they would easily accomdate a 33' TT and 20' TV.

If you come up with something let us know. I would like to head back that way again too.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beautiful area. Fun drive without a trailer maybe stay in Morro Bay area and day trip? Otherwise take a look for yourself at the Big Sur parks
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Big Sur Campground and Cabins
It was great the last time we were there in 1992.
Be prepared for a possible culture shock. Some there insist Jerry Garcia is still alive....

I've been up there several times, but not with the trailer. Seems like there are campgrounds there but not many on the coast with a view. Some are a ways from the coast.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Big Sur Campground and Cabins
It was great the last time we were there in 1992.
Be prepared for a possible culture shock. Some there insist Jerry Garcia is still alive....
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
not many places in the area with hookups.
a friend of mine recommended Fernwood. he highly recommended the Grill there.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
following
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen