cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blackhills of South Dakota

JohnEM38
Explorer
Explorer
Going to spend a week in the Blackhills of South Dakota next summer. How about a recommendation for a campground with large campsites that accommodates a large 5er. Prefer full hookups.
Kristin & John
2012 F-350SD SRW CC SB 6.2 4:30 11,300 GVWR "Brown Sugar"
2021 F-350SD SRW CC SB 7.3 4:30 (on order)
2018 Grand Design Reflection 26RL "Tailwagger"
4400 SuperGlide
doublegstravels.blogspot.com
24 REPLIES 24

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Not to high jack the thread but how about Boon docking sites in the same area. I am thinking about taking the family in June. The Rafter J Bar looks great but at $50 a night plus extra for 2 more adults would break the bank for a week stay.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

rhingst
Explorer
Explorer
Broken Arrow 4 miles south of Custer, long gravel pull thrus and full hookups.
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Powerstroke SRW
2007 Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Nearly all have sites that will accommodate large trailers. I 2nd the recommendation to not go in August. The bikes are neat at first, but the constant noise gets old after a while ...

If you don't know what I'm talking about in terms of the bikes, it's this: Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
It's not just Sturgis, it's everywhere, and it's not just the week of the rally, but also a week or so before and after.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rafter J Bar Ranch Campsites

Multiple areas to choose from, depending on your interests/preferences. We stayed in the Ranch Camp this past summer, good mix of sites and campers. Some cater more to self contained units, such as The Island. For us, there's no comparison to Rafter J Bar Ranch.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
x4 for Rafter J Bar. Great park. You can pick sites in the trees or out in the open. KOA near the monument if you have kids as there is a ton of stuff to do there.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

suznlee
Explorer
Explorer
X3 for Rafter J Bar....was just there last month. Stay away from the KOA parking lots when you have something this nice to choose from.

I took a fall coming out of the RV on the 2nd night there, but now I can recommend the ER Dept. in Custer which is 8-9 miles down the road...lol.
Suz

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
knshook wrote:
Rafter J Bar near Hill City!! 9 miles from Rushmore and not that far from Badlands. We stayed a week and didn't want to leave.

X2 Great place. Close to most attractions
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J Bar near Hill City!! 9 miles from Rushmore and not that far from Badlands. We stayed a week and didn't want to leave.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Horse Thief Campground. Located just outside Hill City off of Needles HWY. Very nice campground in the Hills. Beautiful views.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
just dont go in August