cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

blue ridge parkway

zwicky
Explorer
Explorer
planning on spending a few day near Ashville, NC. Can one drive their 36ft motorhome plus tow on the blue ridge pkwy or is that a raod to explore in your car? Any suggestions on things to do in the area? thinking of course the Biltmore, Chimney Rock state park, i read about some swimming holes and a slide rock (anyone know more about those) thanks for any suggestions out there.

jennifer
10 REPLIES 10

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
And just looking at the BRP map, the 3 tunnels that are close together are at the end near Cherokee. Park in Cherokee and ride the parkway in a car up to up above the 3 tunnels. then when you are leaving, access the parkway up in the area where you ended.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
zwicky wrote:
planning on spending a few day near Ashville, NC. Can one drive their 36ft motorhome plus tow on the blue ridge pkwy or is that a raod to explore in your car? Any suggestions on things to do in the area? thinking of course the Biltmore, Chimney Rock state park, i read about some swimming holes and a slide rock (anyone know more about those) thanks for any suggestions out there.

jennifer

It can be done. You have to be the one to figure out if you want to do it. Many on here don't like to drive in the mountains with their motorhomes, TT's or 5'ers. We see them on the parkway everytime we are on it. I wouldn't hesitate to drive ours on it. As far as the road goes, it's not a bad road to drive on. There are worse side mountain roads you could be one where you will have to stop and either pull over some (if you can) to let an RV pass or barely squeeze by. But all the parts of the parkway we have been on, have not been that way.

As far as tunnels, there are 26 of them (25 in NC and 1 in VA). All but 4 of them have minimum heights of at least 13'6" and more. That's minimum (on the sides). Maximum height (in the middle is more than adequate on all the tunnels (18' and taller). The 4 tunnels which are shorter on the sides are not long tunnels (around 400' or less). You can also elect to bypass those tunnels. 3 of them are within a 3 mile spanse. Check out the tunnel website for specifics.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

NCBounder
Explorer
Explorer
Big Wheel wrote:
I agree that it is best just to drive the car on the parkway.

Same here. And there are probably some side trips off the parkway you may want to explore that would only be suitable for your toad, such as Mt. Mitchell State Park.

If your toad is has good ground clearance or 4X4 you could make a very nice loop up the parkway from Asheville, take the side road from BRP from Craggy Gardens picnic area through the back country over toward Dillingham and Bernardsville then back to Asheville. Thats just one example, there are many other forest roads that are good even for normal cars when the weather permits. Be sure to check conditions first.
Chuck & Pam
'16 Tiffin Allegro 32SA - Ford V10
'17 Nissan Frontier - Blue Ox & Brake Buddy
F261484
NJ4B

Big_Wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that it is best just to drive the car on the parkway.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the access roads are steep and winding. And that is the understatement of the year. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would not have driven our Class A with toad on the BRP.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
plan some time for the village/city of Ashville. It is unique, with interesting shops, and people watching. There is also a great garden there , not as big or fancy as Biltmore but still worth a stop if you like that kind of thing.

tcolburn
Explorer
Explorer
Just for info, be aware that the BMW (motorcycle) Riders of America is holding its annual rally this year at the Biltmore from June 20-23. We're going in our MH with our bike on a trailer. Probably there will be a few thousand motorcyclists exploring the area during this time, including us!

--Tim C.
Liz & Tim Colburn
'04 Fleetwood Revolution 40C
Park Forest, IL

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
While it is not impossible to take an "A+toad" on the BRP, you will probably be much happier with the car-only experience. Some of the tunnels may require a change of underwear if you are driving the MH.

Tale a picnic each day and do one run North from Asheville toward Linnville Falls (stop at the Folk Art Center run by NPS) and another day South beyond Mule Pen.

Do Biltmore! Lunch at the stables.

In the Biltmore Village Shops there is a charming crafts gallery called New Morning. Some of the pottery and woodworking is outstanding. Several places to eat in the Village. We like the Station Restaurant.

Have fun
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
www.nps.gov/blri

This National Park website will keep you busy for hours just on the Blue Ridge Parkway!