cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking at Big Bend Nat'l Park

thewhitehat
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I know the Natl. Parks are closed right now, but they're not going to be forever, so here's my question:

I read where there are several places in-park at Big Bend Nat'l Park that are primitive camping sites where someone with an RV could boondock (which is what I'd like to do), but they say those spots require that you have a vehicle with high clearance and 4WD. Has anyone boondocked there, and are there spots where I could camp dry with my 34' trailer (not real high clearance and no 4WD)?
2013 Keystone Cougar 30FKV
2008 F250 Lariat Crew Cab
Holding 'er steady with a Hensley Arrow Hitch
Running Maxxis ST225/75R 15E at 80 psi
Wife, son, dog, me
14 REPLIES 14

Tumbleweeds
Explorer
Explorer
You might check out the Black Gap WMA east on Ranch Rd 2627. Really busy during hunting season and empty the rest of the time. Some campsites on paved roads, but not to private, others way off. Check at the office for permission, it was free last time I was there.

baron1953
Explorer
Explorer
thewhitehat wrote:
OK, I know the Natl. Parks are closed right now, but they're not going to be forever, so here's my question:

I read where there are several places in-park at Big Bend Nat'l Park that are primitive camping sites where someone with an RV could boondock (which is what I'd like to do), but they say those spots require that you have a vehicle with high clearance and 4WD. Has anyone boondocked there, and are there spots where I could camp dry with my 34' trailer (not real high clearance and no 4WD)?

White Hat - I camped in the Pine Canyon Backcountry in Big Bend several years ago. There are other Backcountry areas in Big Bend as well. I first surveyed the road before deciding to take my trailer there. I would recommend you check out the roads and talk to the Backcountry Ranger before taking your 34' trailer in there. The Pine Country road was rocky in places with numerous washes.

Big Bend Gallery:http://casitaadventures.smugmug.com/Casita-Adventures/110200-Big-Bend-Rio-Grande/16182607_VXgTkQ
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess people don't read anymore...

Some of the primitive roads are doable in passenger cars, but not all. Also, try to remember you are in an area where people can and do walk over the border.... Last time I was at Big Bend we saw illegals going thru the campground at Rio Grande Village, and the same will be true anywhere inside or outside the park. You won't be able to call for help if there's a problem, so choose wisely where you park, and what you leave in and out...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
if the park is closed, the gates will be closed.
try the Big Bend State Park... same terrain plus some dinosaur fossil finds.

He's going later on!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
if the park is closed, the gates will be closed.
try the Big Bend State Park... same terrain plus some dinosaur fossil finds.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grapevine Springs has a number of spots along the road and you should be able to get all the way into the Springs which has some great campsites. There are also a lot of spots along the West River Road, some right down on the river. If you enter from the west end you'll also find a lot of fantastic spots, although last year the first mile or so of the road looked a little dicey. Enter from the Village end on the east and you shouldn't have a problem getting all the way into the old mercury mine. There are also spots along the the road that goes from the entrance station on 118 down to the Cottonwoods Campground. That road was in great shape last year. There are some fantastic spots along the Old Mile Trail Road but that road is too rough for your setup. Although on both ends of the road (Dagger Flats on the north and the Village on the south end) have a number of good spots that you can reach before getting to the rough part of the road. Every year I've been down there at Christmas most of the primitive sites have been empty.

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Ajones42 wrote:
There are several primitive camp areas just a short drive off the paved roads that would work fine for your set up. Check in with the rangers and they can tell you exactly which ones are accessible.

The gates are closed !

The OP said he knew they were closed --as do I. His question specifically asked about when the park re-opens.

I always read the original post thoroughly before I reply.
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

brokeboater
Explorer
Explorer
You might also consider Texas's Big Bend Ranch State Park.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
There are primitive campsites down dirt roads that are accessible even by passenger cars. Since you have to take out a back country camping permit anyway, the visitor center staff can direct you to the ones suitable for your rig.
Currently Between RVs

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Ajones42 wrote:
There are several primitive camp areas just a short drive off the paved roads that would work fine for your set up. Check in with the rangers and they can tell you exactly which ones are accessible.

The gates are closed !
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Big Bend 2 months ago in my Rialta, went to the Chisos Mountain area. There is dispersed camping, some on trails I wouldn't take a dirt bike on but some very manageable. I did not get far off the road but was truly "away from it all".

I talked the Rangers there and they, as a group, were some of the nicest, most helpful people I have met. They showed me safe areas, where not to go all in all were very helpful.

Beautiful views, cool weather and clear skys.

As you wrote, they will open at some point. Definitely worth the trip.

Check with the Rangers and plan ahead and have fun... Bob J.
Courage is endurance for one moment moreโ€ฆ
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
You really answered your own question, didn't you.

But what the heck, go for it. Park maps won't be available that mark which roads are paved and which turn into trails. You won't be able to turn around just anywhere. There's a lot of deep sand, dust and rock in places. When you get stuck expect to wait until someone comes along like a dirt bike rider. Park closed, could be weeks. There are no cell phone signals, when I was there a bar was using a XM satellite radio on a bar stool for entertainment. You can't even receive a AM radio station signal, American or Mexican.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Big Bend this past winter - with it closed not much to do. I would look to camp west if you still go.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks