cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking near Four Corners

chinook507
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a place to boondock near the four corners area. Doesnt matter which state, but we are coming from Colorado.Thanks in advanced.
2001 Excursion V10
2013 Keystone Cougar
1997 Kawasaki 1100STX Jet Ski
1991 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4X4
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220 2X4
22 REPLIES 22

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
On the Colorado quarter of the Four Corners, you might want to take a look at my blog entitled "Free RV Campsites in the Colorado Mountains." It follows the US highways through the mountains, with camping, sightseeing, RV dump, and other suggestions. So, you would likely be most interested in the "US 160 west of Pagosa Springs" thread HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
FirstTracks wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
Mark, I hope you took a video of that!!

Just some dash video at 2:20 in our Valley of the Gods video, way back in Ep. 2 before we got better at producing videos:

https://youtu.be/-uY-FV9bMg8?t=140 (link starts the video at the 2:20 mark)

You can see the trailer in the shadows on the rock in the first few seconds.

"First Tracks"- this is the go-to guy when it comes to boondocking videos out west.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
chinook, if you have a minute, check out Mark's video link a couple of posts above -- Valley of the Gods looks mighty fine!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

chinook507
Explorer
Explorer
No worries, I don't give my honey holes away either. I give general areas as well. General areas close by the 4 corners region was food enough for me. Just didn't know if there were public lands that were fair game. Didn't want to camp 30 miles away when there are places that are free and close.
2001 Excursion V10
2013 Keystone Cougar
1997 Kawasaki 1100STX Jet Ski
1991 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4X4
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220 2X4

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Phil, if you can get to the Racetrack near Death Valley (which I think you have, if I recall correctly?), Valley of the Gods is a piece of cake, except after rainstorms.

Just take it slow going over the water bars and drainage ditches.

The area on top of the Moki Dugway, though, is much trickier. Folks have done that towing a fifth wheel, but I would not. You might be able to do that in your rig. I did it in an SUV, with no problems, but I was not towing my trailer.

Dan ... we've never dared try the Racetrack. I only carry one spare, and I'd probably blow more than one tire on the way. (haha)

We back out trying some places that we probably could make it to if we had another motorhome along for backup, but so far none of our RV'ing friends will go along with us to these kind of great boondocking places.

Our most challenging Class C route has been the Monument Valley "Not Recommended for RVs" loop. That was a go-slow, side-tipping, water-bar type short trip but still carefully doable and a lot of fun. Camping is not allowed on that loop, however.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

Just some dash video at 2:20 in our Valley of the Gods video, way back in Ep. 2 before we got better at producing videos:

https://youtu.be/-uY-FV9bMg8?t=140 (link starts the video at the 2:20 mark)

You can see the trailer in the shadows on the rock in the first few seconds.
Grand Adventure: YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
Cottonwood Heights, UT
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050
2014 Toyota Tacoma SR 5.7L V8
Days camped: 2017 - 66 |2018 - 136

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
About our trailer

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Phil, if you can get to the Racetrack near Death Valley (which I think you have, if I recall correctly?), Valley of the Gods is a piece of cake, except after rainstorms.

I've driven both, and agree.

profdant139 wrote:
The area on top of the Moki Dugway, though, is much trickier. Folks have done that towing a fifth wheel, but I would not. You might be able to do that in your rig. I did it in an SUV, with no problems, but I was not towing my trailer.

We towed down it completely by mistake. We were southbound and didn't realize where we were until it was too late to turn around and go all the way around.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

Just take it slow going over the water bars and drainage ditches.

About our trailer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
Or Canyon de Chelly in the tribal camp ground.

Or Valley of the Gods...depending on what you are driving.

Or..https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2%B000'04.9%22N+109%C2%B001'58.7%22W/@37.001366,-109.0335307,1...

Gary Haupt

Gary ... with respect to Valley of the Gods, would you explain what you mean by "...depending on what you are driving".

We have thought about going through there a couple of times, by haven't tried it yet. (As you know, we have a 24 foot 2WD Class C with good ground clearance and a 158 inch wheelbase.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Love the Images - You guys set the bar!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Yep, lots of room. This is near Goosenecks, about an hour away from the Four Corners Monument, and that's my trailer. Nobody else within a mile of us:

Great photo! And right near Goosenecks is free BLM boondocking in Valley of the Gods:

Cottonwood Heights, UT

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, lots of room. This is near Goosenecks, about an hour away from the Four Corners Monument, and that's my trailer. Nobody else within a mile of us:

Click For Full-Size Image.
About our trailer

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
If you have a great spot some where, do yourself a favor and don't tell everyone about it.

Is that really what the RV community is about? I'd hope not.

Let's face it, there's plenty out there. In just the Four Corners states, Utah is 75% public land, Colorado 43%, New Mexico 47% and Arizona 57%. There's more than enough to go around.
Cottonwood Heights, UT