cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking with residential fridge

LittleJimsSon
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda queasy about boondocking with the residential fridge. Don't know how much battery drain will happen overnight. Yup, have 4 house batteries, but. . . .? Anyone have experience with how to get this done? I don't want to damage the batteries. All ideas welcome.
One measure of a person is how they treat someone who can be of no particular use to them.
4 REPLIES 4

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do a test run now.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

About one battery per night. Recharge with solar. 300 to 600 watts (more is better, of course).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you measured the draw of your fridge? You can do that with an ordinary multimeter -- there are instructions online about how to do that. If I can do it (and I have), anyone can.

Once you determine the draw, you can calculate your battery capacity and see how long you can handle the load. Remember that a 110 amp/hour battery (for example) can only take about 65 amp hours before it gets down to 50 percent state of charge -- I think that is when the voltage reads 12.1. Any lower, and you risk damaging the battery, or so I am told.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."