cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken Bow Oklahoma

BettyBoop7
Explorer
Explorer
Our family is planning to camp in the Broken Bow area in April. Do you have any suggestions for campsites in that area? We will be traveling in a motorhome, 5th wheel and pull behind.
10 REPLIES 10

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a 26' trailer and camped at Beavers Bend, really enjoyed it. It was in the fall of 2016, not crowded at all (off season). While there were many campsites/loops, I didn't think they were too close together.

Other options that we've camped at, kind of nearby are Lake Wister SP and Daisy SP (Arkansas). Eastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas are great places to visit.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Re-reading this thread I remembered an issue in Broken Bow. No Verizon service. None.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

BettyBoop7
Explorer
Explorer
WE had to postpone our trip We are now going in October and have made reservations at Creekside RV Park

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't imagine what is causing "exploding growth" around Broken Bow. Is there a new sawmill in town? Its a long commute to Dallas.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
^^Fern and the other nearby loops looked OK to me. Last time I was there I had a 35ft+ 5th wheel nearby.
I did take a drive on the loop (Cypress?) next to the river that was downstream from Fern and it was more crowded. But to me it's a pretty good state park.
I have no idea about it "being discovered".

We pass thru there nearly every summer since 1980 going to our hideaway in Arkansas and in the last 3 years the area around Beavers Bend has exploded with growth. Private Camp grounds, convience stores gift shops, restaurants , road construction , traffic. Will be going thru June 7th

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^Fern and the other nearby loops looked OK to me. Last time I was there I had a 35ft+ 5th wheel nearby.
I did take a drive on the loop (Cypress?) next to the river that was downstream from Fern and it was more crowded. But to me it's a pretty good state park.
I have no idea about it "being discovered".
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Do not stay in the local State Park campsites, unless you first check them out. We checked out the Beavers Bend Park and it is tight, very tight. Did I mention Tight????? Most, if not all the spaces at the state park will be very hard to get into with anything over about 28',in my opinion. The spaces are crammed together, so you had better like your neighbors. The roads through the campsite are very curvy and narrow with lots of low hanging limbs. My wife an I decided real quickly that we were not bringing our 35' 5th wheel into this place. If you go, the RV sites will be packed full of rigs and people. If this is your type of camping, give it a try. I would look at some of the other private camp grounds in the area.
Another point. The whole Beavers Bend/Broken Bow area has been "discovered". Construction, crowds, and high prices everywhere. We will not go back.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beavers Bend SP is decent. If I remember they have horses for rent and I think a little train for kids. Last year I was in Fern campground in the Bigfoot, focused on fishing. Going back in 2 weeks if the weather isn't too cool.
It's a easy drive from Houston area up 259, if you don't miss the 259/59 split just north of Nacogdoches. My excuse was that there was a "lot of construction". All done now I think. Brookshire Bros. on the left soon after you get on 259, with fuel and a CAT scale. Google labels it a Subway.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
Find one with a tornado shelter!

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
We have not been to Broken Bow but maybe this link will help.

Broken Bow
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James