cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bryce Nat. Park, Glen Cyn. Nat. Rec. Area/ Badlands Nat. Pk.

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
We leave the day after Easter for our annual spring trip. Which of the above should we do this year? We will do the other next year again departing the day after Easter which is 3 weeks later in 2019. Opinions please. Thank you.

Sherry
20 REPLIES 20

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
While waiting I'd search for each in this Forum for previous posts.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
derouen6 wrote:
We leave the day after Easter for our annual spring trip. Which of the above should we do this year? We will do the other next year again departing the day after Easter which is 3 weeks later in 2019. Opinions please. Thank you.

Sherry

How long are planning to be traveling?
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Bryce if good weather. Not the Badlands but the Black Hills (Custer State Park, Rushmore, Needles Highway) would be a good alternative. My opinion of course, but we have been to both.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd go south. We were in southern Utah from mid May until early June last year and had a dusting of snow while camped at Comb Wash plus needed a campfire most nights to sit outside. Making the same trip again this year but arriving a couple of weeks later. Being a southern boy, I'd rather sweat than shake.

We were in Badlands in the Fall of 2016. Don't know if you'd want to take your rig over ten miles of gravel road but we really enjoyed camping at Sage Creek within the Park.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I would base my choices on weather conditions at your possible destinations just before heading out.
I've been to Bryce in March and seen both snow, or deep red mud, on the trails into the canyon. If it's in a thaw situation there, you probably won't want to do much hiking on them. They're messy.
Badlands might be too far north in April. I have little experience there in early Spring.
Glen Canyon Rec Area might be your best bet. Lake Powell RA might be in good shape.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bryce is in our top 10 list, Badlands doesn't seem to get a lot of good reviews but we spent a whole week there hiking the trails and visiting nearby attractions. We enjoyed it, but that was the summer of what passes for extreme rainfall for that area, so it was not typically what you'll see.

Be warned that April 2nd is very early to be heading out there, I saw a national snow cover map yesterday and IIRC SD was covered. You can expect snow at any time that early in the high altitude parks (Bryce is up to 8000 ft) and the northern parks. Glen Canyon is mainly a boating park with almost no road access. It is lower altitude so snow may be less likely. I assume you can rent boats unless you are dragging a boat all the way from LA.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper