cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground near Charlotte, NC in June for a couple days?

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a kid-friendly but quiet campground near (half hour?) Charlotte, NC to spend a couple nights in June.

40 foot bumper pull, need full hookups. Doesn't need to be a pull-through. I have a business convention, so just need someplace friendly for my wife and 3 kids to stay while I go into Charlotte 1 day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2007 Sierra 321 BHT, 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin/HO Cummins
20 REPLIES 20

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
mockybird wrote:
I have a suggestion for you up I77...Mayberry Campground in Mt Airy,NC...You must take the kids downtown. This is where the TV series The Andy Griffith show was patterned after. You will see lots of things from the show and might even see Barney, Floyd the barber, Otis and Ernest T Bass. Also there are the squad car tours. You can make that 1 day ride to Charlotte ๐Ÿ™‚

It's an ok park...a little noisy from the highway...will definitely put him at the 90 minute range or maybe a little more...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
I have a suggestion for you up I77...Mayberry Campground in Mt Airy,NC...You must take the kids downtown. This is where the TV series The Andy Griffith show was patterned after. You will see lots of things from the show and might even see Barney, Floyd the barber, Otis and Ernest T Bass. Also there are the squad car tours. You can make that 1 day ride to Charlotte ๐Ÿ™‚
Gary

sunny_jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a lot of time work camping there 2 summers in a row. Sites 13 threw 17 have a great view. All sites are a little tight to get in and out of.you can rent a pantoon boat there and spend a day on the lake.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Norman RV Resort is not far from me and a nice place..I will warn you that it will be tight getting a 40 footer in there. Doable, but tight. Not much there for kids, but the restaurant across the street (Linebergers) is great. If you are going up to 90 minutes north of charlotte then I have the place for you.

Tanglewood RV Park...it's in Clemmons NC on I-40 between Statesville and Winston-Salem. From uptown Chatlotte (downtown), it takes me about 40 minutes to get home to where I live (north of Charlotte). Tanglewood is about another 40 minutes (if that). Full hook ups, cable, paved pads and at $31/night. In the park there...horse stables, bike paths, pool, tennis, golf, and more... Right outside the park across the street is a grocery store. There's also a big dog park there if you have a dog. During part of the year, they have a farmers market close to the Rv park. The only thing is that the sites are not level..Trailers are easier to level than motorhomes (without jacks). SOme sites are worse than others.

Here are some pics...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Jettix2 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Well there is always - Lake Norman RV Resort - - It is North of Charlotte . .

It was on my list of parks to check into for this year.. But I have not done that yet , so I have no idea how it is ???

This campground looks PERFECT. thank you!

You are welcome...must remember my disclaimer...I Have not stayed there , nor do I know anything about it... I found it last fall and planned to look into it for this season...it does look clean , nice , and away from Charlotte.... I do know that the area around lake Norman is beautiful ..Good Luck.. Let me know how you make out...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

It was on my list of parks to check into for this year.. But I have not done that yet , so I have no idea how it is ???

This campground looks PERFECT. thank you!

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
I think we may re-focus our search somewhat NORTH of Charlotte, up to a 60-90 minute drive. I only have to drive into Charlotte one day for the conference, so I could make that drive once and perhaps find a nicer campground to stay, and never have to pull the camper near Charlotte:)

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
We like McDowell but do not have a 40 footer.
Not full hookups stinks but they have a dump site.
Not much there for kids to do but only 4 miles or so from Carowinds.
+ point...cheaper than Carowinds. But you are not on site.
I would prefer Carowinds if I was with kids and you can afford the park prices.
My suggestion is to go to the park but come back to site for meals.
Gary

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Jettix2 wrote:
Anyone stay at the McDowell nature preserve campground in this area? Looks perfect!

It's not full hook ups and to be honest, the sites suck. We drove through it last year. And with a 40', I would advise against it.

OK THANK YOU for the honest comments, I'll scratch that one off the list;)

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Jettix2 wrote:
Anyone stay at the McDowell nature preserve campground in this area? Looks perfect!

It's not full hook ups and to be honest, the sites suck. We drove through it last year. And with a 40', I would advise against it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestions!!!

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA in Ft. Mill a while back. Nothing special but it was convenient for what we needed at the time. Close to a gas station and convenience store and there is a grocery store next door. Easy access into Charlotte on I-77.