cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground suggestions in the NorthWest

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
We live in SE Washington. Last year we stayed on the Oregon Coast at Beverly Beach. Wife would like to stay at a warmer place. We are used to 90 degree weather(she likes it at least 80). We like biking, kayaking (lakes), and geocaching. Any suggestions in ID/MT. I saw a good campground just outside Missoula that looked good. I realize it is kind of late in the year for state parks. Any suggestions.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150
14 REPLIES 14

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
A couple of my favorite SPโ€™s east of the mountains:

(1) Hellsgate SP in Lewiston, Idaho. A nice SP with plenty of large shade trees right on the Snake just south of its confluence with the Clearwater. Itโ€™s bike trail connects with the excellent Lewiston-Clarkston bike trail system.

(2) Wenatchee-Confluence SP. This a very nice SP with spacious campsites in Wenatchee at the confluence of the Wenatchee and Columbia Rivers. The Apple Capitol Bike Trail, which goes along the Columbia shore on both sides of the river in Wenatchee and East Wenatchee, passes through the SP. A bike trail spur, heading north on the opposite side of the Columbia, continues on to Lincoln Rock SP. Good shade trees, and being so close to town is no big deal. Confluence is probably our favorite Washington SP. (Lincoln Rock SP is right up there also.)

We booked a 5 day stay. We like geocaching, biking, and kayaking. Anything else to do in the area?
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

isa
Explorer
Explorer
Wenatchee has already been mentioned, how about Leavenworth and Lake Chelan. When our kids were little (now in their 50's) we used to spend the summers in that part of the country.

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
grampacc wrote:
I believe Washington and Oregon State Parks have a nine month booking window.

For parks on the coast of Oregon (Beverly Beach/Ft Stevens for example) the 9 month window is to be followed pretty close. We tried a couple of months ago to get into Ft Stevens and we could only get a couple of days in a row. We had stayed there before and liked it. We generally try to stay in one place for 7-10 days.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of my favorite SPโ€™s east of the mountains:

(1) Hellsgate SP in Lewiston, Idaho. A nice SP with plenty of large shade trees right on the Snake just south of its confluence with the Clearwater. Itโ€™s bike trail connects with the excellent Lewiston-Clarkston bike trail system.

(2) Wenatchee-Confluence SP. This a very nice SP with spacious campsites in Wenatchee at the confluence of the Wenatchee and Columbia Rivers. The Apple Capitol Bike Trail, which goes along the Columbia shore on both sides of the river in Wenatchee and East Wenatchee, passes through the SP. A bike trail spur, heading north on the opposite side of the Columbia, continues on to Lincoln Rock SP. Good shade trees, and being so close to town is no big deal. Confluence is probably our favorite Washington SP. (Lincoln Rock SP is right up there also.)
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
raychris1 wrote:
ScottG, I live in the Tri-Cities but we like Charbonneau Park. It is a Corps park. Very nice but very little cell service. You have to drive a ways for the normal amenities. We have stayed at Soap Lake a couple of times back when it was a campground membership site. It is nice and you can't beat the low water level and the temp of the lake.
What are some good campgrounds near Wenatchee? We do not boondock so we would need power. Showers would also be nice. We have not used the shower in our TT. We prefer campground showers. Not as sanitary but we do not have to clean them.

We stayed at Charbonneau once and it is indeed a pretty park. My problem with it is the locals seem to have the code for reservations and it is tough to get into. Another frustration was campsites were occupied by ski boats while families were camped in the gravel overflow area.

I have a couple of suggestions if you ever get over to the west side. Taidnapam is where the Cowlits runs into Riffe lake. Probably represents good paddling opportunities up the river.

Cresap is on the headwaters of Lake Merwin where the Lewis River runs in. There is a huge 5MPH zone that is popular with kayakers. Crystal clear water, small waterfalls and plenty of scenery.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Paddling Z Canyon We used to paddle up the canyon and tent camp at one of two primitive camp sites. But you can RV camp at the parking area.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

grampacc
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Washington and Oregon State Parks have a nine month booking window.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Central Oregon should have warm weather in August.
Kevin

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the tips Ray and Edd.

Ray, we really like Wenatchee Confluence State park. It's on the bike trail, has a nice beach and the sites are spread out. It's a green oasis in the middle of the desert. It also has some great views of the surrounding hills and while it's rather seperated from the noise of the city, it's a short drive to downtown Wenatchee and some good restaurants (McGlinns or Rail Station and Ale house in the old train station)
Ohme gardens is nearby (you can see it from the park) and it's a short drive up to Mission Ridge.
Don't forget to check out Applets and Cotlets in nearby Cashmere and if you're into it there are some large antique stores (Apple Annies). Cashmere also has a neat little museum. The Hot Rod cafe is accros the highway and it a super friendly, delicious place to eat and score some local made ice cream.

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG, I live in the Tri-Cities but we like Charbonneau Park. It is a Corps park. Very nice but very little cell service. You have to drive a ways for the normal amenities. We have stayed at Soap Lake a couple of times back when it was a campground membership site. It is nice and you can't beat the low water level and the temp of the lake.
What are some good campgrounds near Wenatchee? We do not boondock so we would need power. Showers would also be nice. We have not used the shower in our TT. We prefer campground showers. Not as sanitary but we do not have to clean them.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
If you like kayaking, take the Selkirk Loop highway in NE WA to Boundary Dam just south of the Canadian border. You can park there and kayak Z-Canyon, which is just beautiful.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Moses Lake, and one of my favorites Vantage http://www.visitvantage.com/
Any high dessert area.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry not ID/Mt but that sounds like Wenatchee, which is our favorite place to go.
Do you mind if I ask what some of your favorite CG are in the SE part of our state?

Good luck in your search,
Scott

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Late in the year? Itโ€™s February! Six month window is August.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad