Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds near Atlanta and near I-85

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Anyone know of a decent campground that's open now, not too far off the I-85 corridor and north of Atlanta before you start getting into the greater city area? We will be traveling there this Monday or Tuesday. Thanks
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
4 REPLIES 4

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Ft. Yargo State Park.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
A little further down I-85 into GA, closer too ATL than Tugalo, yes a short jaunt off the highway, 10'ish miles. Depending on where you are traveling afterwards, easy to take 316 back to ATL journey's or other cut-troughs on the outskirts of Atl.

Nice State Park -->:B Believe or not, Winder is kind of a suburb of Atlanta.

Fort Yargo St Park, Winder GA

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Georgia State Parks are our first choice though there's many nice private parks.

Here's a map of the GA SPs. Depending on how close in to Atlanta you want to get, you can see if a SP is nearby.
Georgia State Park Map

Tugaloo SP is always a good place to rest before tackling Atlanta's traffic purgatory. Here are the directions
http://gastateparks.org/Tugaloo#directions
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Not many choices.
1. Jones RV Park Norcross, Ga. In a bad part of town and adjacent to a mobile home park known for crime. About 1 mile off I-85.
2. Country Boys RV Park Commerce, Ga. An old ex-KOA that would be marginally acceptable for an overnight. Very close to a Super Walmart and many restaurants. About 2 miles off I-85.
3. Fort Yargo State Park Winder, GA. Excellent park in the Atlanta 'burbs right in a small town with good grocery choices. Excellent restaurants close by. About 15 miles off I-85.

The other choices will be at the Georgia South Carolina border.

My recommendation is to stay at Fort Yargo State park. Take exit 129 (Ga Hwy 53)off I-85 and turn left. Go into downtown Winder.

Cross railroad tracks (be careful those are very active tracks) and highway becomes Ga Hwy 81.

Fort Yargo will be on left 1 mile after the RR tracks.

The next day avoid Atlanta traffic and save about 1 hour and 60 miles as well much less stress:

Turn left out of park. Go to Ga, Hwy 316 (about 3 miles) it is a 4 lane divided hwy at traffic light go left.

Go three miles to traffic light and turn right on Ga Hwy 11. Stay on Hwy 11 to Monticello about 50 miles. Carefully obey the speed limits in the towns you travel through!

In Monticello, take Ga Hwy 83 to to Forsyth and I-85 about 75 miles south of Atlanta.

These are all good smooth paved roads with wide shoulders suitable for any type of RV. In Monticello, you have to go around the town square (or common for you northerners) much like a rotary. There are great restaurants along the way, most notable is the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle.

Once again, carefully obey the speed limits!!!!!!