cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

camping recommendation in Colorado Springs

Gsetter
Explorer
Explorer
I need to go to Colorado Springs over Labor Day weekend for a wedding, looking for a campground recommendation. I have a 40' diesel pusher and would want full hook ups. I am not looking for sightseeing or amenities in particular or a "camping" experience just good hookups and a place to park.

Thanks
1997 Country Coach Intrigue
7 REPLIES 7

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
We tend to stay at the Garden of the Gods campground in town. Good location, not far from Manitou, etc. Most summers we spend about a week there as my wife grew up in the Springs and went to high school in Woodland Park. So we stop so she can visit old running buddies and to do some of the tourist stuff. On our last visit I notice the Garden of the Gods had put in a half dozen or so pull throughs for big rigs with 50 amp in addition to water/sewer.

Many/most of the in town campgrounds in this area are old and were built for smaller RVs but for a place to park, several will do. This part of Colorado is one of the oldest tourist areas of the state. Many used to arrive by train,or hired cars with drivers, and spend the summer, in the Manitou Springs area, especially the Plain people, the Mennonites, the Amish,and Brethren, among others, from the upper Midwest.

The fairly new Cheyenne Mtn SP is real nice but out of town a ways and is hard to get a reservation, at least for us. We have also stayed in Woodland Park at a couple of the campgrounds on the highway headed for Deckers. In the north edge of Woodland.

Lots to do in the Springs area.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Anothr "vote" for Cheyenne Mountain State Park. We have been there on Labor Day and it was great.

BUT. . . You better see if you can get reservations NOW . . .RIGHT NOW.

Maybe you will be lucky and will be able to get them.

(Apology: I did not see the earlier post about them NOT being available.)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Colorado Springs KOA and we very pleased. It is along a freeway frontage road but the spaces were wide as were the interior roads.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gsetter wrote:
I need to go to Colorado Springs over Labor Day weekend for a wedding, looking for a campground recommendation. I have a 40' diesel pusher and would want full hook ups. I am not looking for sightseeing or amenities in particular or a "camping" experience just good hookups and a place to park.

Thanks

H E R E is a list of the various parks under Colorado Springs.

H E R E is one park out east of town, in Falcon. An older park but easy to get in/out.

H E R E is a listing for Fountain, on the south end of the area. This one is convenient to I-25.

H E R E are the listings for Manitou Springs. One is not rated, the other is a nice park, though a bit tight to get in/out.

If you're just looking for a place to stay overnight, not needing amenities or the usual sight seeing stuff, any of them will work, just depends on what part of the area you want to be in. For total convenience, the KOA in Fountain may be your best bet.

The determining factor for any of these selections is actually availability, if you can get reservations at any of them for that weekend. In all probability, Cheyenne Mountain SP is already completely booked for that weekend; many of the others may be as well.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Cheyenne Mountain SP is beautiful. That's were we stayed and we loved it.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Which part of Colorado Springs?

Mountaindale is on the south side (a little further south than Cheyenne Mountain SP that TexasShadow mentions). We liked Mountaindale but didn't like the extra 20-30 minute drive to get to everything we wanted to get to.

Closer to in-town is the Garden of the Gods place.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
cheyenne mountain state park, south side of Colorado Springs.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.