cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Santa Fe, NM this summer!

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
My son will be performing with the Santa Fe Opera this summer and we plan on taking a trip to visit him. I am looking for suggestions on campgrounds near Santa Fe and for activities, places to go, things to do while there. One thing that I must do (my wife and I are both science teachers) is find a way to drive miles out into the desert to explore. I am especially interested in old ghost towns and abandoned mines (we won't go into them!). We do have a 4WD truck.

Thanks!

Tom
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch
19 REPLIES 19

Chakara
Explorer
Explorer
A very interesting remote area to wander out into the desert is the Bisti Badlands. Up near Farmington/4 Corners......

-Chak
- 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 6spd / Pacbrake / Airbags
- 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel
- SOLD: 2007 Keystone Raptor 299MP 33' 5th Toyhauler
- SOLD: 2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 246RKS 28'
- SOLD: 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe
- SOLD: 2007 Dodge Dakota fiberglass topper

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We always stay at Los Suenos de Santa Fe RV Resort & Campground because it is very close to downtown. Nothing to write home about but cheaper than others that have been mentioned and is very clean. We have a son living in town and want to be near him.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you're lucky to be there during the Hatch chili harvest you'll smell wonderful aromas of the chilis being roasted along the streets and in parking lots. Restaurants will feature them. Awesome!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
X3 for Santa Fe Skies. Also downtown has a lot to offer Tomasitoes is a great spot to eat New Mexican food.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Red_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I recently stayed in Bernalillo (between Albuquerque & Santa Fe). The "old town" area is definitely worth a visit. We parked at visitor ctr and walked the area ( saw the oldest church & oldest house in the country, plus the Loretto Chapel, St. Francis of Assissi church, museums). Taos is not that far north and worth the visit. Enjoy your trip.

frmAloha
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Santa Fe Skies.
Oregon Native
Retired w/
2000 31' SurfSide
Class A

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Santa Fe Skies, we always stay there. Also--must see Los Alamos and the local museum on the atomic bomb development. Drive up the back road to Taos and stop at Shidona Foundry--check on days they pour bronze. Great little cafรฉ about 1 mile further north. Blue Corn Cafรฉ and Brewery in SF is great for fresh local food. Also the Farmer's Market is wonderful for all kinds of great fresh stuff. We often ride the local bus to downtown--no hassle over parking a big truck--Seniors get a discount. Visit the Georgia O'Keefe gallery. For out of town--put Taos on the list.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know exactly when you'll be there, but the Cumbres and Toltec RR is offering a Geology Train June 19th. Even if you can't make the geology train, the train trip itself is sure worth the time from Santa Fe.

Four Corners, Wupatki, Sunset Crater are all more than just a day trip from SF. Closer in, you might find a long day trip to El Malpais and El Morro worth your time. There are lava tubes nearby, but I don't know their current status. Bandelier NM would be closer yet. Like geology? Head NE up to Capulin Volcano NM. On the way, check out Las Vegas, NM. Many old buildings still around town, as Las Vegas never underwent the urban renewal craze of the 1960's and 1970's. If you get to Las Vegas early, eat breakfast at Charlie's Bakery (used to be Charlie's Spic and Span). Or stop there on the way back home. Really good NM fare.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
X3 Santa Fe Skies
Try Tomasitoes restaurant (SP?)downtown.
It is also a short ride over to Las Vegas NM. There is a lot of history there.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
Great suggestions - thank you!
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Santa Fe Skies RV. It's a nice place. It's quiet and has fairly large sites for a RV park.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed a night at Hyde SP and really enjoyed walking to the top of the nearby ridge; the view of Santa Fe in the valley below was great.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are science teachers, you will probably want to go to Los Alamos. There is a museum in the town (and, IIRC it is where the original lab was located)

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We were out there a few years ago and stayed at Santa Fe Skies RV Park. Nice campground that sits on a hill where you can see 360 degrees around the park. Clean and well run.

http://www.santafeskiesrvpark.com/?utm_source=RVParkReviews.com

Or you can use RV Park Reviews.com to research other possibilities.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/new-mexico/santa-fe
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator