cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian Snowbird Future

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Just a bit worried that the border will still be closed come this fall, I understand this virus is a pain but in the end it's not Ebola,,,i's the flu! Since this whole thing started we went into "self isolation" mode while in Florida and did the full quarantine protocols when we arrived back home as ordered and so far we don't know ANYONE either here or in our park in Florida who had the corona virus and neither do anyone else we know except one friend who's family member was on a cruise! Every new case in my part of Canada is mostly from migrant workers coming here to work the farms. I would be very interested to see the actual data on how many Canadian snowbirds were infected,, I think it would be exceptionally low if not 0.

Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em
into a quart of vodka.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...
72 REPLIES 72

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
OK, Lets try to leave the politics out of this as it is a violation of forum rules. No personal attacks either. I Don't want to close or delete the thread. Yes I agree we have a serious problem on many levels. Just like many Canadians we have property on the Southern border and have not seen snow in 17 years. Minnesota Winters are probably as bad as Canadian Winters and we have concerns about going south to under current conditions as well. Hopefully things begin to improve soon.
THANK YOU Ron
pawatt

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Without getting too political, the US is, to be blunt, in a mess. The fact the richest country in the world has not been able to flatten its curve as is the case in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, and most of Asia is disturbing and lack of leadership seems to be the only thing one can attribute it to. You can understand the problem in crowded 3rd world countries where people cannot survive without working, as there is no safety net. Parts of Latin America, Africa, India etc, but there really is no excuse in the US except for misplaced priorities. I read today that the top medical expert is prohibited from appearing on TV as he won't follow the party line. Heck that is like banning the weatherman from TV stations in the patch of an oncoming hurricane. A tragedy is unfolding in the US. It really is sad. I suppose the only bright spot may be that herd immunity may be attained sooner there, but at what price?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wapiticountry,

So you think the 21 million Canadians who don't go south, will spend less in Canada than the 12.5 million Americans who won't be going north?

I'd say your math flawed.

I'm not in favor of Canadian borders to any country being opened any time soon. USA only had 58,349 new cases today--and usually on Sunday there are a lower number of tests done.

The Province I live in has only 47 active cases. How many in the State you live in?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wapiticountry wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
wapiticountry wrote:
If the US is such a threat to Canada, maybe the border should be closed permanently. I wonder which country has a greater percentage of their population cross the border in any given year. My bet is Canada would suffer more than the US.

And how often have you come to Canada? And that would be in January?

USA is causing its own suffering. Just why that is happening I'll leave to your fertile imagination.

There is no doubt in my mind, that far more Canadians snowbird to USA, than US citizens visit Canada. So USA may hurt financially from the lack of those folks not buying goods, food, and accommodation.

I do know that in a two week period in June, over 72000 Americans excluding Truckers, crossed the border going North. There must have been a lot of folks returning to Alaska......or perhaps the visitors were telling porkies to the border officials?

BTW I'm not anti American. But I'm definitely anti Covid 19. Or perhaps Covid 19 and the 137,572 folks who have died in USA, are all part of a hoax?
I am just saying if the US is so terrible and such a threat to Canadians and their health, just shut the border until there is zero cases of COVID in the US. If it gets cold in the winter, tough. If a Canadian owns a winter home or needs to cross the border to visit relatives, buy supplies or conduct business, too bad. Whinning and complaining that a country is not doing what they should to protect their residents and visitors then just tossing those concerns aside and traveling to that country because it got cold outside is pretty much the definition of hypocritical behavior. If you have convictions, you should stick by them regardless of the weather.

I think you are taking this wrong and turning it personal. Canadians donโ€™t think the USA or Americans are terrible. Canadians look at the USA as a foreign country experiencing a deadly pandemic with a complete leadership vacuum and completely ineffective methods combatting it. As well it is in the midst of political upheaval with ongoing race and class riots. The president re-tweeted multiple times a video where a supporter says โ€œthe only good democrat is a dead democratโ€ suggesting he would like to see 50 percent of the electorate dead. This is concerning for the entire world watching the failure of what was once the leader of the free world. Canadians are simply discussing serious concerns about travelling in a politically unstable country with an unchecked health pandemic. Look at it through the eyes of the rest of the world and youโ€™ll see the concern. More specifically this is pertinent to this RV forum and the Canadians who are members as difficult decisions need to be made on future plans. If you donโ€™t want to see this discussed then tune out. But this is important.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe wapiti should tell us if he thinks the usa is doing a good job handling the virus. Do you wear a mask in public? Do you support social distancing?

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
For the latest data available

21 million Canadians visited USA

12.5 million American's visited Canada

โ€œThis is clearly the currency at play,โ€ he wrote in a BMO trends report, adding, โ€œNote that even now, there are still two Canadians travelling to the U.S. for every one American visiting Canada. In the 1970s and early 1980s, the ratio was 1:1.โ€

So USA will be on the wrong side of the scale, economically.
Your logic is flawed. Raw numbers of travelers is not as important as the percentage of business those travelers represent. In 2019 the US had 79.6 million foreign visitors. That makes Canadians 26% of foreign travel and tourism. For comparison, Canada had 21 million foreign visitors. That means US visitors accounted for nearly 60% of Canadian foreign travel and tourism. Clearly the loser in a tit for tat tourism lockout between the US and Canada would be Canada.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
wapiticountry wrote:
If the US is such a threat to Canada, maybe the border should be closed permanently. I wonder which country has a greater percentage of their population cross the border in any given year. My bet is Canada would suffer more than the US.

USA is causing its own suffering. Just why that is happening I'll leave to your fertile imagination.

There is no doubt in my mind, that far more Canadians snowbird to USA, than US citizens visit Canada. So USA may hurt financially from the lack of those folks not buying goods, food, and accommodation.

I do know that in a two week period in June, over 72000 Americans excluding Truckers, crossed the border going North. There must have been a lot of folks returning to Alaska......or perhaps the visitors were telling porkies to the border officials?

BTW I'm not anti American. But I'm definitely anti Covid 19. Or perhaps Covid 19 and the 137,572 folks who have died in USA, are all part of a hoax?
I am just saying if the US is so terrible and such a threat to Canadians and their health, just shut the border until there is zero cases of COVID in the US. If it gets cold in the winter, tough. If a Canadian owns a winter home or needs to cross the border to visit relatives, buy supplies or conduct business, too bad. Whinning and complaining that a country is not doing what they should to protect their residents and visitors then just tossing those concerns aside and traveling to that country because it got cold outside is pretty much the definition of hypocritical behavior. If you have convictions, you should stick by them regardless of the weather.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
For the latest data available

21 million Canadians visited USA

12.5 million American's visited Canada

โ€œThis is clearly the currency at play,โ€ he wrote in a BMO trends report, adding, โ€œNote that even now, there are still two Canadians travelling to the U.S. for every one American visiting Canada. In the 1970s and early 1980s, the ratio was 1:1.โ€

So USA will be on the wrong side of the scale, economically.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wapiticountry wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
magicbus wrote:
Itโ€™s becoming obvious why Canadians would rather keep the border closed!

Over 430,000 new cases in a week says it all.

That's more folks than live in Regina and Saskatoon.

That makes no sense. The US is a threat to Canada (and the rest of the world) because of an out of control contagion in the US. You are assuming that a is permanent situation. I would think the vast majority of scientists agree.

But yes. My bet is it will stay closed till at least the new year. Essential commerce continues.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wapiticountry wrote:

Regards, Don

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just found out I can enter the US if I show my Mexican resident card and say I am in transit. Not sure i want to go into 2 weeks quarantine if I just go for cheaper gas then tell Canadian immigration I changed my mind.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
magicbus wrote:

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
magicbus wrote:

Regards, Don

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
At the risk of offending my American friends, this is what it's starting to feel like up here

:B :B. No offense taken!

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Statistics really are wonderful arenโ€™t they? Go look up what the working class on Nantucket pays in rent because they canโ€™t afford to own but still need a roof over their heads. Who the do you think keeps everything running for the people that own your statistical multi-million dollar homes? Iโ€™m not getting into a p****** contest with someone who thinks they can sit 1000โ€™s of miles away and quote stats from the Internet. Itโ€™s becoming obvious why Canadians would rather keep the border closed!

Dave
People that choose to work for low wages in areas with high costs of living do so by choice. I don't feel sorry for them at all. So unless Nantucket County still has indentured servants you are talking about people who made the choice to live where they can't afford to do more than scrape by. There are hundreds of places where I would love to live, but cannot afford, so I make the choice to live in places I can afford. That is called life.