cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Central Florida Coastal RV Park Recommendations

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for recommendations for RV parks in central Florida, near either the gulf or Atlantic coasts, for the winter of 2020. We've escaped the midwest winters in the Panhandle the last few years and have been lucky with the weather, but looking to go further south next year to be sure to get some warm weather. We're used to the Florida State Park difficult reservation routine and haven't been able to get any state park reservations yet. So we're looking at private parks, but most seem to be full of permanent park models, or asking for commitments of 1 to 3 months. We'd like to stay 2 weeks on each coast to check them out. Our preferences are as follows: within about 45 minutes of a public beach, with water and electric hookups at least, and good AT&T cell reception. I have a liberal definition of central Florida: north of Naples & Miami, and south of Ocala. We have a 34' fifth wheel. We know we will pay a hefty price, but are willing to do so to get out of the snow! Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Pawatt. I considered Texas, and I think we'll do that some winter in the future. It's not a great deal further from our home base than south Florida. I checked online and there certainly are a lot of parks!

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
WillB5 wrote:
Yes that's what we are finding. At this point in our lives we only want to escape winter for 6 to 8 weeks, and that makes reservations much more difficult. I contacted over 30 parks to find the reservations we got. Next winter we'll try to lock in something earlier in the season.

We would welcome you to The Rio Grande Valley of Texas, far less costly, over 400 parks to choose from and seldom an issue with reservations. It is a friendly welcoming place. Less rain than Florida but maybe a tich cooler depending on where you go.
pawatt

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that's what we are finding. At this point in our lives we only want to escape winter for 6 to 8 weeks, and that makes reservations much more difficult. I contacted over 30 parks to find the reservations we got. Next winter we'll try to lock in something earlier in the season.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Might be quite a struggle if you have an issue with a few months of minimum commitment. We are regulars in a park north of Tampa. Five or six years ago, you could show up here, at the peak of the season, without a reservation, and stay as long as you want. Fast forward to Feb.2019 and 90% of current occupants had already put their deposits down for their same sites, in 2020. A few days ago, the office announced that next year was 100% booked full from Dec 1st to March 31st. Since our first bird season in 2014, we have not only seen a huge increase in demand in this area, but many parks are getting monthly rates that are 25-40% higher, and won't even discuss a reservation without a three month commitment. A few have waiting lists that are so long it's hardly worth bothering to get on them.

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Thanks, Deb and Ed. Long Point Park looks like a great option, since we like to be close to the beach. And the fishing should be excellent. Surprisingly they do have some sites open next winter, but not on the dates or for the site lengths we need.
I have been checking Jetty Park and it has been more full. A few days open here and there but not many.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
If Jetty Park in Port Canaveral wasn't available, you can try Long Point County Park - it's actually an island in the Intracoastal waterway. Not as much to do - Jetty Park is in the middle of all the Canaveral fun - has an awesome beach and fishing pier! And if you're lucky enough to be there during a rocket launch - it's as close as you can get without being on KSC property.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
Another thanks to everyone for their generous input. I have reservations at Timberlane in Bradenton, and Phipps Park near Port St. Lucie. Plus I was successful at the Florida State Park game and got a couple of weeks at Gamble Rogers Recreation Area at Flagler beach. That covers our wish to explore areas of Florida that we haven't visited in several years.
I contacted all the parks recommended above and they were either full up or not taking short term reservations until later in the year. If we're coming back in 2021 we'll get our reservations in early next winter!

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
WillB5 wrote:
Thanks! Rock Crusher does look like an interesting option. Lots of public lands in the area to enjoy nature. We made a reservation at Timberlane for part of our time, but I will check out Rock Crusher for part of our stay.

We're looking for a place to stay next winter as well and called Rock Crusher Canyon today (3-7-19). We were told they are completely booked for all of next winter.

A lot of places in Florida book up for the entire season because the people there now book next year before they leave. However, if you don't need the entire winter, it is possible to get a few weeks here and there.

As for Rock Crusher, I believe the entire state of Michigan winters there.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
WillB5 wrote:
Thanks! Rock Crusher does look like an interesting option. Lots of public lands in the area to enjoy nature. We made a reservation at Timberlane for part of our time, but I will check out Rock Crusher for part of our stay.

We're looking for a place to stay next winter as well and called Rock Crusher Canyon today (3-7-19). We were told they are completely booked for all of next winter.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that does help! The photos are excellent. Hope the birthday and Christmas celebrations were great! They show the park and sites better than the park's website does. I'll be calling them for sure.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
WillB5 wrote:
ependydad wrote:
We love Royal Coachman RV Resort in Nokomis, FL (Gulf side). Love the park and love the area it's in. We spent 2 weeks in December 2017 and then 1 month in December 2018.

Thanks! I have read that Royal Coachman is mostly park models. Did you find that is the case? Looks like a reasonable possibility.

Yes and no. If you look at the park map, I can explain better:
https://www.rvonthego.com/media/com_rv/uploads/resorts/sm0318royalcoachman_1524257652.pdf

The huge section on the right-side is all park models. Super tight and stacked on top of each other. If I ever bought a park model, it would not be in that kind of hell.

The circle section on the left side is mostly RV spots with a few park models sprinkled in. This is where you would be put. This area is maybe 10% park models. The rest are RV spots.

The area is nicely tree'd and the folks have all been friendly.

Very nice pool area and well kept amenities/grounds.

Here are pictures from our 2017 stay:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsetzer/albums/72157663851020108

Here are pictures from our 2018 stay:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsetzer/sets/72157674231225767

Hope that helps!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
We love Royal Coachman RV Resort in Nokomis, FL (Gulf side). Love the park and love the area it's in. We spent 2 weeks in December 2017 and then 1 month in December 2018.

Thanks! I have read that Royal Coachman is mostly park models. Did you find that is the case? Looks like a reasonable possibility.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer