cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charleston, SC Campground

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
We want to go to Charleston, SC this November on our way down to Naples, FL. We have a 36' motorhome pulling a toad. Where should we camp? I have found Oak Plantation and James Island. Is there others and which one would you choose?
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.
23 REPLIES 23

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate all the responses.
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.

DennisAndSheila
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a history buff, don't miss Fort Sumter and/or Patriot's Point. AND, do not miss the historic area downtown. All great teachers of history lessons.
2002 Alpenlite 32RLS Triple Slide
Ford F350 Super Cab
2 Shih-Tzus ( Brainiac- [RIP 08/07/10]
and Maniac - thinks he's the Chief Security Guard)

redhawk23229
Explorer
Explorer
James Island County Park is far and away your best choice.
Carol & H. T.
2003 Lazy Daze Mid Bath

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Drbo,
I was just speaking about the WWII carriers. Back then, they all ran on black oil and the smell never goes away. When I picked up the Lexington in Boston, it was in dry dock while being converted to run on the same aviation fuel that the planes used. Seems that turning the wrong valve and pumping black oil into the planes made them fly like rocks. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
"All look & smell alike." I'll take your word for it, and I'll ask DD, too. We toured the USS Kitty Hawk when I was still pretty young - don't remember much!

Both the Yorktown & Clamagore are in need of serious maintenance. The bow of the Clamagore is literally rotting away. The Laffey (last I knew) was in dry dock for some repairs & paint. Don't know if it's back yet.

To the OP - also check out Magnolia Plantation.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Drbolasky wrote:
Jim - USS Yorktown is at Patriot's Point. Great display of all kinds of aircraft and relics on the hangar deck.

You're right, of course. The Saratoga is in mothballs preparing to be made into razor blades. Having spent 2 years on the Lexington, I can promise you that they all look (and smell) alike. Its a shame, but the WWII carriers are too short to handle the current naval air fleet. The pilots get really angry if they run out of deck before they reach takeoff speed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bill_B-67
Explorer
Explorer
We just spend a week at the KOA in Mt Pleasant and it was very nice & clean & the people were very friendly. The campground is close to nearly everything you would need. Very nice place.
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
2015 Kodiak 283BHSL

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Jim - USS Yorktown is at Patriot's Point. Great display of all kinds of aircraft and relics on the hangar deck.

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at the Mt. Pleasant KOA, north of Charleston on US 17. AFTER I missed it and drove across the bridge into downtown Charleston at rush hour in my 'C', pulling a toad 4 down. No place to turn around without backing up. I was scarred for life. Charleston is much easier to see from a toad. The KOA was far enough off of US 17 to be quiet and peaceful with big spaces and mature trees, and next to a large lake.
For sure, visit Patriot's Point. The WWII aircraft carrier Saratoga is open for tours, as well as the USS Laffey, a WWII Destroyer, and the USS Clagamore, a WWII submarine. The Saratoga was a sister ship of the Lexington, that I served on in Pensacola. Different name, but it was the same layout. WWII ships are being converted into razor blades at an alarming rate.
Charleston is very proud of its Civil War era history with many ante bellum homes open for tours.

om
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
novi2some wrote:
We want to go to Charleston, SC this November on our way down to Naples, FL. We have a 36' motorhome pulling a toad. Where should we camp? I have found Oak Plantation and James Island. Is there others and which one would you choose?

we had trouble with low hanging tree branches going into James Island....Chuck

We were concerned when we turned onto one of the streets leading out to the campground, but didn't actually have a problem- just a near heart attack! Our rig was 13'6"", but I know others might be taller, especially if 2 nd air on fifth wheel.

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
Buck Hall Recreation Area in the Francis Marion National Forest - north of Charleston around McClellanville - was $20 per night - $10 with National Park Senior Pass. 14 RV sites along the Intercoastal Waterway. Water and Electric and dump station.

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
Buck Hall Recreation Area in the Francis Marion National Forest - north of Charleston around McClellanville - was $20 per night - $10 with National Park Senior Pass. 14 RV sites along the Intercoastal Waterway. Water and Electric and dump station.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
novi2some wrote:

we had trouble with low hanging tree branches going into James Island....Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
om wrote:
We have stayed at both and preferred James Island.

Same here.

What to do in Charleston? The market area is great. We've eaten at both Bubba Gump's and Hyman's; choose the latter if you want a HUGE selection of unusual dishes (example - alligator sausage). Take in Patriot Point and Fort Sumter. I also highly recommend the H. L. Hunley at the Warren Lasch facility in North Charleston. We also enjoyed the S. Carolina Aquarium. Enjoy & safe travels.