cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charleston SC - Suggest I in a

Phil___Stephie
Explorer
Explorer
Visiting Charleston for the next six days, here last year for afewere days and did Ft. Sumpter, The Battery. What's some other must see ideas. This was a quick departure and did have time to research and plan our stay. We like "back roads" type things, local eateries, cruising the countryside, etc.

Thanks in advance, travel safe.

Phil & Stephanie Grey

"Partners In Life"
2016 Allegro 36LA
2007 Chevy HHR
Yorkies; Paisley Marie & Opie Taylor
14 REPLIES 14

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Visit the CSS Hunley conservation lab.When I was there about two years ago, it was only open to the public on Saturdays, so some online research is a good idea.

X2 on Patriots Point.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RV'ing Issues forum.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time, give the SeeWee Restaurant on Rt 17 near Mt Pleasant a try for a truly unique experience. The food is excellent, and the "ambiance" is an old country store that's been converted to a restaurant. The old worn, wide pine floors, and shelves still stocked with goods from the old days are well worth the visit. Besides, what other restaurant serves bottles of cold Nehi Grape Soda?! :B
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ascofield
Explorer
Explorer
Eat at Bowen's Island (Off the road to Folly beach. Small dirt road to right...) Customs House downtown
Ansley & Susie
2008 Carriage Domani 302
2005 Dodge SLT Diesel Crew Cab

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
the Angel Oak and The Charleston Tea Plantation are well worth seeing .... it is nothing short of amazing to see a tree the size of the Angel Oak and think about how many storms it has withstood .... the Charleston Tea Plantation is the only tea plantation in the US .... it is the home of Bigelow Tea, the tour is really interesting

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of Ashley River Road, is there at least 13' clearance? Tnx.
-jbh-

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
cross the Cooper River to the north and visit Red's Ice House on Shem Creek. Ask anyone in Mt Pleasant where it is and they can tell you. Outstanding food and a great place to spend a couple of hours watching the pelicans on the creek, sitting in the sun and having a bucket of bottles. They make their own sliced potato chips. Hot sauce!! yep!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
Bike Ride on Isle of Palms Beach
Hike on Francis Marion National Forest - Awendaw Passage from Buck Hall to Swamp Fox, Sewee Visitor Center - National Forest and Cape Romain WIldlife Refuge - see the Red Wolves. Visit Bull Island part of the refuge

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
You may be a few days early for the peak flowing, but visit the Azalea gardens at the plantations. There are about 3 near Charleston.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Also might want to try The Tattoed Moose. Was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Duck Fat fries and many other very creative (and not at all expensive) sandwiches and meals. Locals love it as well as tourists.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Great little town about 30 minutes north - MCClellenville! Boats are right there for the freshest shrimp and fish possible! Agree about patriot's Point as well. Try a walking tour of the historic area - a great way to get a true flavor of the city. A great local watering hole - The Griffon (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g54171-d436603-Reviews-Griffon-Charleston_South_Carolina.html - near the battery. We make sure we go there every time we are in town.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Patriots Point - it's a Naval museum, mostly outdoors, with some Navy & Coast Guard ships & boats you can tour. Better than it sounds. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also the Angel Oak tree, south of town, near Johns Island, I believe.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Phil & Stephie wrote:
Visiting Charleston for the next six days, here last year for afewere days and did Ft. Sumpter, The Battery. What's some other must see ideas. This was a quick departure and did have time to research and plan our stay. We like "back roads" type things, local eateries, cruising the countryside, etc.

Thanks in advance, travel safe.

Take in a plantation tour like Drayton Hall, visit the Hunley museum. Ride up to FT Moultrie in Mt Pleasant and ride around Sullivans Island. Visit Angel Oak on John's Island. Take a ride on the Ashley River road which is home to many large preserved plantations.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Charleston
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation