cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convict Lake, CA questions??

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Convict Lake next week for the first time. Going over Google satellite photo I see the dump is on the main road going up between lodge and CG.

Is there potable water to fill my tank so as not to haul that extra weight?

I don't see where there is a kiosk or location for campsite check-in?

Is this a good place for an inflatible kayak?

And lastly, are there bike trails or should we leave them home?
17 REPLIES 17

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
"so it should be a quiet and calm lake"... if the wind isn't howling
E.Lee Galik

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water levels are low throughout California. I would not travel with an empty tank in the hopes that water will be available at my destination. Fill up before you leave home and don't worry about hauling "that extra weight" - your mileage sucks regardless.

As the Convict Lake campground is run by the USFS, I do not believe there is a potable water hookup available. They tend to only have a few spigots around the campground for filling dish pans, etc, not for filling RV water tanks.

Again, with this being a USFS campground and not a state campground, things are a bit more basic. If you have a reservation, there will be a tag on a pole at your campsite. There likely won't be a formal checkin process or kiosk - if there is a host, they might stop by to say hello. If no reservations, first come first sites will be paid for using an iron ranger.

According to one website, there are "challenging moutain bike trails" nearby at Rock Creek. It looks like otherwise bikes are limited to the roads and campground. There are a lot of hiking trails.

It sounds like kayaking would be good. The "no-wake" lake has a 6hp and 10mph speed limit. This is more of a fishing lake than a water sport lake - so it will be a quiet and calm lake.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Potable water is available but with all things it could be out of commission for a day or two. Nothing better to me than full fresh water and empty waste tanks. Then I'm ready for anything. Dump is easiest to access headed back to U.S. Hwy 395. You will love this area.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad