cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Corpus Christi State Park, TX

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
I have resveration for Mustang Island SP and have stayed once before. Not really fond of it being a parking lot & not seeing the Gulf of Mexico from the campsite. With that said, has anyone stayed at Lake Corpus Christi SP and what was your thoughts on it.

Sharon
11 REPLIES 11

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Visiting from Missouri, we would like to see Corpus Christi Lake SP, Mustang Island and eventually stay at Goose Island, hopefully the 23 of Oct. Your post caught my interest as how you go to so many State Parks. What I mean is that, I believe Texas charges $5.00 a person entry fee. I have no problem with that, but we would like to "check out" Corpus Christi SP, move on to Mustang Island for a review and splash in the Gulf and then possibly settle at Goose Island SP for a couple of days, or just the night, whatever. My question is, if we, DW & I, "check out" 3 parks in one day, which is nothing for us to do, is that $30 for a "I've been there entry in the log book"? Seems a bit steep to me. And a yearly pass is far to costly for a three night stay in Texas. But there again I'm the tourist here.

thank you for letting me hijack your post. Sorry!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone that gave me information on Lake Corpus Christi State Park. It looks as if we will be staying at Mustang Island SP. Darn! I caved in for DH could be clouser to the friends house (11 miles from the park) for an early rise on fishing. The friend wants to first get together Friday in planing what day they will go out on the weekend. This way I can keep the truck by dropping him off.

Sharon

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
With us it is no problem. The wife and I both like fishing and we fish from the piers at Port Aransas.

I know it is sad that not a fisher. Thou I will set with him as he fishes. I get very seasick, many, many years back when he was a geology student went on a research ship for a coring & I threw up all 8 hours out at sea. I will stay on land & it was not the only time getting sick on a boat or ship. DH's friend is happy I will not be coming for that reason. The girls and I will be just as happy at the campground.

Sharon

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
With us it is no problem. The wife and I both like fishing and we fish from the piers at Port Aransas.

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
You do know it is about 40 miles from Lake Corpus Christi to Harbor Bridge (by the "T" head piers) and from there it is about another 30 miles to Mustang Island.

We sure do, been down it that area many times before. My deal if he goes fishing with his friend on the boat (friends), I will be setting out at Mustang Island alone with the dogs (no truck). Not to thrilled being in a parking lot campground, I did not like the first time we stayed at Mustang. Lake Corpus Christi can give more area to walk the dogs and myself. For DH it would be a 1 day of fishing before moving to Goose on a Monday. What would you do, make the wife happy and drive a little more out of the way? The lake is 48 mile drive plus or 12 miles from Mustang to the friends house. Let's hope he will pick the wife. This is only a 2 day stop over before heading to Goose. The drama begins! Besides I like seeing our different state parks we have not been too.

Sharon

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
You do know it is about 40 miles from Lake Corpus Christi to Harbor Bridge (by the "T" head piers) and from there it is about another 30 miles to Mustang Island.

CC_Crabman
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Corpus Christi is extremely low. Suggest you call the State Park and ask about conditions. Water levels are only slightly better at Choke Canyon Reservoir.

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
WE have been there twice (me, wife, and our seven year old boy), and are going again this weekend...had a great time! out in the middle of nowhere, in a sense...but nice camping loops, great access to the water (no need to wallow through mud or climb down a steep rise or anything), and a nice 'overlook' of the lake at the old CCC building from the 30's...

have fun!

have been twice to goose island...both times, ended up on the 'beach' side rather than on the interior of the park...basically parking right on a beach, with no trees or anything....bad part about GISP is that there is no 'swimming' access...although right on the gulf, there is a sea wall and I understand swimming is verboten

have been into mustang island, but not really our cup of tea...just like at the 'beach' side of goose island, the sites are wide open such that you could, if so inclined and the neighbor's blinds were open, see what the neighbor was watching on tv from your unit...we usually prefer a bit more separation and privacy
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
fickman wrote:
I was considering staying there and driving to the beach a couple of days, but we changed our plans.

I also looked long and hard at Goose Island State Park, which looks beautiful, but outside of looking at the old live oak tree or fishing, there's not a lot to in the park itself.

We still hope to get down that way soon. I'd be interested to read your report if you go.

Looks like I will be changing our resveration to Lake Corpus Christi from Mustang, DH told me what makes it easier on me & the 3 little dogs. DH has fishing plans with a friend in Corpus Christi. After our stay there we will move over to Goose Island for more days. DH & I like Goose Island staying in the bay sites. The tree area has to many bitting bugs & not much breeze. You might want to check out Matagorda Bay Preserve ran by the LRCA, really nice park with FHU's.

Sharon

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering staying there and driving to the beach a couple of days, but we changed our plans.

I also looked long and hard at Goose Island State Park, which looks beautiful, but outside of looking at the old live oak tree or fishing, there's not a lot to in the park itself.

We still hope to get down that way soon. I'd be interested to read your report if you go.
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed there a couple of times and found it interesting and scenic. Lots of wildlife in the area including deer, javolina etc. One loop right by the waters edge (electric and water only) is where we preferred to stay.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population