cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dump fee for registered campers

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from Westside regional park in Bodega Bay, Ca, which is operated by Sonoma county parks department. We usually stay there at least 3-5 times a year. They have added something new since our last visit in May. As of 7/1/2013 even if you are a registered camper you must pay a $7.00 fee to use the dump station. This is on top of the $28.00 per night fee for dry camping. Credit or debit cards only to use the dump. When you swipe your card the lid to the dump is unlocked for sixteen minutes. When time is up an alarm sounds to let the park personnel know you have overstayed your allotted time. I don't know if the other Sonoma county parks are doing the same thing, but I would imagine they are. This is not intended to be a complaint, just for informational purposes for anyone else who might be headed that way.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad
22 REPLIES 22

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
A state park near me has a CG with FHU sites as well as W & E sites. The FHU sites cost more per night. If the W & E sites don't need to dump, they save money, otherwise they pay $10 to dump. Since restrooms/showers are available to everyone in the CG, those that opt to use them instead of filling their black and grey tanks may save money over the summer camping season by not needing to dump every weekend, and the park saves money by not extending the sewer the full length of the CG. And the pay dump station is open to the public - not just campers. Seems fair to me.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

elkhorn98
Explorer
Explorer
Every Forest Service dump station I have been to in CA charges to dump (even to campers). Westside park is not FHU and charges a similar rate. It's not a FHU park charging to dump.
Elkhorn98
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison w/45 gal Transfer Flow Tank
RBW X16 Slider, Yamaha EF 2400iS
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension & Mobile Outfitters Shock Kit Upgrades
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 tires

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking as a campground owner, I find it a real
ripoff to charge for dumping in addition to regular
camping fee.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
rv2go wrote:
California is not the only place that is charging for dumping.
A friend staying in Cherry Creek State Park, just a few miles from Denver, CO reports that dry the camping fee is $18 per night, plus a $18 dumping fee.

Not sure where that came from - we camp there regularly. Full Hookups are only $26 a night. That would make it more expensive than a FHU. In all the years we have camped there we have never seen or heard of a dump fee if you have a campsite. I just checked Reserve America, and the State Park website, and there is no mention of a dump fee. There is no dry camping in the park other than in the campground.

You do have to pay an additional fee to enter the park, as with all Colorado State Parks - we have an annual pass.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
As I said in my original post, I was not complaining but merely passing on the information. However, I looked on the Sonoma county parks website and could find no mention of this new policy. I think they should make mention of this fee so others can decide if they wish to stay as this may be a deal breaker for some people. The new fee will not stop me from staying at this particular park, as it is one of our favorites. Others will probably disagree.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't want to seem negative about this, but....

That will be a cold day in Hell!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
All it encourages is for some RV'ers to drive down a remote country road and let'er fly by the side of the road. There's way too much of that done now in areas were RV dumping charges are required.

A few years ago we were behind a big DP MH going thru South Dakota on I-90 south of Pierre that apparently had an electric valve on the holding tanks for dumping and wittnessed it being opened when going down the road and out the stuff came. We got in the other lane real quick but the smell and seeing what was happening was unmistakeable. I have no idea whether any dumping fees are charged in South Dakota but we never have paid any there.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty smart idea, having to use plastic to pay to dump. Now they have a name and time of usage. Now if someone dumps illegal fluids down, they can track who may have done it. Just hope you arent the guy just before or after. It wont be long when you can or have to use a credit card to use the bathroom or take a shower.

I'll pass on that place
Full timing it since July 2012

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Part of the reason I do private campgrounds, yes I know a few of them will charge to dump and that is usually just for non campers.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...$35 a night and you only get to dump once for that price. Private parks with FHU (and maybe a little cable and wifi) is sounding more economical nowadays...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
California is not the only place that is charging for dumping.
A friend staying in Cherry Creek State Park, just a few miles from Denver, CO reports that dry the camping fee is $18 per night, plus a $18 dumping fee.

Do not forget that you have to also pay for a park pass if not a annual pass it is another $9.00 per day
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
RognBon wrote:
This is not intended to be a complaint, just for informational purposes for anyone else who might be headed that way.

Forgot to say thanx for the heads up.
I'll let our neighbors know they're heading down there next week.

shooker99
Explorer
Explorer
MMMMmmmmm is this anything like you rent motel room, they charge if you flush stool?????????????????

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I feel that a dump station is a basic amenity, such as a road to the site. Today, if the campground wants to charge me extra, I wonโ€™t pay it, because I wonโ€™t be staying there.

If it becomes very wide spread in the future, who knows?
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006