cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easiest route to Gettysburg from Cherry Hill?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Your suggestions? We will have an RV on the back:) Which roads do not allow propane? Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
I was also going to suggest 200, but figured the OP being from Wa. state he did not have ez pass. I would use it just to avoid the beltway traffic.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Ott House in Emmitsburg. In addition to the Firefighters Memorial, Emmitsburg is also the home of Mt. St. Marys College and the Shrine for Mother Elizabeth Seaton, the only American Saint in the Roman Catholic Church. There is a beautiful, incredibly serene and peaceful Grotto there off U S 15. My mother was from Emmitsburg and I have visited this wonderful little town often. Only about 10 miles south of Gettysburg and worth a couple of hours to visit. BTW, suggest you think about taking a certified battlefield guide's tour of the Battlefield. Worth every penny. Also look into the Ranger-led "discussions" that take place at different points on the battlefield daily. You can get a schedule at the Visitors Center (an absolutely MUST GO TO stop!!!) Have a great visit and a safe trip.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We will be there the second part of April.

The park I am asking about is Cherry Hill just out of DC. Thanks!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Duck wrote:
X3 on Leaddog route.
Don

Lead dog's way is very straight forward.

The OP could avoid 495 altogether and take I-95 north about 3 miles to 200 west to I-270 North and avoid I-495 altogether. 200 is a great 6 lane road with a lot less headaches and traffic than 495. However MD-200 is an electronic toll road that requires an electronic toll device like an EZ Pass.
There is also a $4-$5 fee (I believe) to travel on MD-200 . Not sure of the fee while towing the trailer.
While I understand 200 can be costly. I often use it while towing to avoid the potential headaches and traffic of 495.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Leaddog route.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaddog is correct, that is the most direct route. No tolls and all open highway.

You can also take I95 north to the Baltimore Beltway (695) to the Northwest Expressway (795) and then take local roads in northern MD to Gettysburg. That takes you through downtown Westminster and some local roads.

Another option is to take I95 to Rt 32 and then take Rt 97 through the country and small towns up to Gettysburg. This is the route with the least highways and mostly surface streets. Its a nice drive and the roadway is mostly 2 lane highway through the country of central MD. Its the slowest route, but the roads are plenty big enough for RV's.

I don't think any of the routes will prohibit propane and they are all RV friendly roads.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just don't do that during rush hours.
bumpy

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest route for you would be I-495 to I-270N to US 15 (Frederick, MD) and then on to Gettysburg, PA. 82 miles more or less of limited access highway. No problem with propane on this route.

If you are looking for someplace to get a nice meal, check out the Ott House restaurant/bar in Emmitsburg, MD. Very close to Gettysburg. The National Firefighters Memorial is also in Emmitsburg and worth seeing.

When do you plan on making this journey?
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Which Cherry Hill, I know of five. I lived/worked in two and know of three others. There may be more.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.