cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington DC alternative routes?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at 2 routes around DC to avoid the beltline and 75 as much as possible.

We will be arriving at Cherry Hill from Williamsburg, VA. Would it work if we took 3/33 to 17 to 301/3 to 50/301 to 495 beltway to Cherry Hill? Alternative would be to tae 64 to 295 to 301 and then same as above.

Leaving Cherry Hill, we want to go to Gettysburg & maybe Lancaster if time permits. Would it work going on 495 beltline W to 97 & up to Gettysburg? Alternative if we decide on Lancaster? We need to visit Leesburg and are looking at going down 15 to Haymarket and then proceeding to Charlottesville on 29. We would also be interested in visiting Luray Caverns if we can figure out a rote that makes sense. We also want to visit Shenandoah Natl Park and Asheville (64/81 to 26?) and then move on to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg & Smokey Mtn Natl Park.

We have never been east of the Mississippi & have 6 months driving experience with our 5th wheel. My hubby is VERY nervous about this leg of our trip!!! All helpful advice is appreciated.
(Yes, I have already reviewed all advice so far on this topic in the forum for the past year. Now our thoughts are taking us onto more secondary roads & I am wondering if it will be OK. Speed is not the issue. We don't care if it takes us an extra hour here or there..
We are RETIRED :)Thanks!)
10 REPLIES 10

puttd
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who lives in Haymarket, 15 to 29 out to Luray or to Charlottesville is easy peasy. Haymarket to Gettysburg, easy. Haymarket to points south on 95, using US 17 as a cut off, easy. Haymarket to Cherry Hill during rush hours makes me want to slit my wrists. Seriously, if I have an appointment in Baltimore in the morning, I'll stay overnight in Maryland, rather than do the drive. Bull Run campground (Centerville) is nice. There is a campground in Haymarket (traffic out to haymarket at rush hour is bad) -- I think they changed it to a Yogi Bear -- if you stay there, wave when you drive by my house!.

Your entire schedule seems to be more aimed at Northern Virginia and there are tons of commuting options out of Centreville or Reston (where there is a county park that is close to the Metro) if you are wanting to do sightseeing in DC. If there isn't something compelling for going to Cherry Hill, I'm not sure I would haul all that way there, if you are looking at Shenandoah, Leesburg, Gettysburg, Luray, Williamsburg and back south. I sure as beans wouldn't tow there at any time other than 11-2. But I hate traffic.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, if you can handle Seattle drivers you can handle DC drivers.

So long as you have a good navigator with you & either get away from the exit lane if you have aways to go or get over to it in good time for your exit, you will be fine.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:
I agree to this times-1000.

I also tow through this area regularly- I pick my speed and stay to the right or the lane just beside of it if 4 lanes. Easy peasy.

Yea, but we are used to it. For people that don't have to deal with this******all the time, it can be daunting. I still maintain that you can easily plan the trip to avoid high traffic times. Stick in the right middle lane. The right lane will have a lot of slowing down and speeding up traffic. The middle right will allow you to travel at a relatively leisurely pace.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
The Beltway dangers are a myth. After all how bad can you wreak when you are going 10 mph. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, It's not as bad as people make it sounds. I use it all the time, both with my POV and with my MH towing a dinghy. Unfortunately, there is no magic route that allows you to avoid traffic. Yes, people do fly along, but stay to the right and you will survive. People do it all of the time.

Degree of difficulty is dependent on your arrival time at Cherry Hill. Your departure trip will be no problem since it would be after morning rush hour.

Using the routes you described makes the trip arduous and long.

I agree to this times-1000.

I also tow through this area regularly- I pick my speed and stay to the right or the lane just beside of it if 4 lanes. Easy peasy.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
The Beltway dangers are a myth. After all how bad can you wreak when you are going 10 mph. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, It's not as bad as people make it sounds. I use it all the time, both with my POV and with my MH towing a dinghy. Unfortunately, there is no magic route that allows you to avoid traffic. Yes, people do fly along, but stay to the right and you will survive. People do it all of the time.

Degree of difficulty is dependent on your arrival time at Cherry Hill. Your departure trip will be no problem since it would be after morning rush hour.

Using the routes you described makes the trip arduous and long.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
To get from Northern VA into DC you need to take one of a few bridges. I would avoid I495/Capital Beltway between 6am to 10am, then again from about 2pm to 7pm. For that matter, I would avoid I95 in northern Virginia during those times too. Any other time of day and I95 to I495 is your best bet.

If you want to avoid that, I would suggest I395 to I295. That is an older and smaller road, a 2 lane highway north, 2 lanes south.

Taking 301 is a long narrow bridge then a lot of surface streets through Southern Maryland. Any time of day that is a looooooong route. You will likely have less traffic but a ridiculous amount of traffic lights slugging through that area.

Driving through DC is crappy. There is no great way around it... other than avoiding it completely and going up through Western Maryland then across. I would encourage you to just take I95 to I495. Try to time it to miss those heavy traffic hours. If you find yourself approaching the area during bad traffic times, stop and grab a leisurely meal or hit some stores to kill time. Enjoy!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
I think the op meant RT 97 which is Georgia Avenue. If this is the case, I would avoid taking this route due to traffic lights and heavy traffic. I would stay on the Beltway to I-270 and take it to Frederick where it connects to US 15 and take 15 to Gettysburg. Try to avoid the evening rush hour or be prepared to spend extra time on the road.

Also, I would time my arrival near DC to avoid rush hours and take the Beltway to Cherry Hill Park. US 301 is way out of the way and the bridge over the Potomac is narrow and many people are scared to cross it in a large RV. I prefer taking the Beltway over the Cabin John bridge rather than over the Wilson Bridge. Either way, get in the middle lane and take it easy. The right most lane will have a tons of vehicles merging in.

Good luck!
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Woodbridge and was stationed at Fort Belvoir in the Army. Drove Highway 1 every day. Lived there for 4 years, then lived in Manassas for another couple years. I learned the best route around Washington is via Ohio!

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I also live in northern Virginia and I say unless you can time it so that you are on the Capital Beltway between 10:00AM and 2:00PM stay off of it.

And I97 does not go directly to Gettysburg. You will have to take some secondary roads once off the interstate. But it is doable and a pleasant drive. Enjoy your trip.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
If you're OK with driving on other Interstate Highways, I wouldn't go out of the way to avoid the Beltway when it is the shortest route. Might be worth it to avoid being on it during rush hour, if possible, and you might want to remain in the right-hand lane, too, but it may not be as bad as you've heard.
2013 RT 190-Popular