cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

El Centro

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone stayed around El Centro Ca. for the winter? Pro and cons? Thanks.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell
23 REPLIES 23

aauummm
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. We will check out Borrego Springs.

Like the other couple of previous posters, we also stayed for a winter at Borrego Springs, CA. We were at The Springs at Borrego RV Resort and we had a blast. We made day trips all over the place from our base camp. Visted things from San Diego to Thousand Oaks to the Salton Sea to Mexicali and all of the desert areas around Borrego Springs.

Hiked box canyons, explored ghost ranches and off-roaded to most of the points of interest in the area. The State Park Visitor's Center was very very interesting. The state park campgound was also very nice. The list of things that we saw and did is too long to include here, so I'll let you discover them yourselves.

Borrego Springs is a certified star gazing area and its far from noise and traffic congestion. The small town is surrounded by the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park so the area is spared from rampant development. The town sits in the center of mountains on three sides so it is protected from high winds. The quaint little town offers some shopping and essentials can be picked up there. They have a great farmer's market on the town circle each week.

The Springs at Borrego RV Park sits in the middle of their golf course which is hugely landscaped with ponds, waterfalls, lush green grass, palms and walking/bike paths. I would recommend it to anyone.

http://www.springsatborrego.com/
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, Kelderman Air Suspension System
Roadmaster HD rear swaybar, Safe-T-Plus, Blue-Ox Tow bar
2011 Honda CRV toad
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toad
two cats and the wife

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,we want to check oput that area as well this trip. Maybe we will see you there!

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
We will be at the Salton Sea NWR (AKA Sonny Bono NWR). Most likely in the visitor center on weekends. Be sure to stop in and say hello.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. We will check out Borrego Springs.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Not for the whole winter, but about 15 miles east of El Centro on I-8 is the BLM Hot Spring Long Term Visitor Area.
BLM Hot Springs
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed for Borrego Springs for January and February, it's pleasant and relatively quiet. Downside is that the only good shopping is in Brawley about 40 miles away (but a nice drive!). It's a pleasant change from Yuma where it gets too busy after Christmas for our liking.

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I spent a week there---after three weeks at nearby Borrega Springs. (Well, "near" being about forty miles or so!)

We enjoyed it because there were no traffic hassles and long lines, etc. Just nice weather, which is what it is all about for us. Kinda strange, though, that rv parks are still what I would call expensive.

But you might consider Borrega Springs, too. If you like the out of doors, the State Park there is nice. The town does have tge basics: a grocery store, a laundromat, a hardware store, and several decent restaurants.
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Kentucky_Rambl1
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in El Centro when I first got married 36 years ago. I managed the twin drive in theatre and worked as the all night disc jockey at the country radio station in Brawley. Not much to do then except we would always love to go to Mexicali for dinner all the time and I remember going to Yuma to the dog races. Not much to do except watch the vegetables and Colton grow.

The one big thing was that the Navy's Blue Angel's would winter out there at the Seely NAS and practice for their upcoming season. That was COOL. In fact working for the radio station I was able to fly with them one year during their media demonstration day. Biggest thrill of my life.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
Has anyone stayed around El Centro Ca. for the winter? Pro and cons? Thanks.
25% out of work.
So big a world, so little time to see.