Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Estes Park Campgrounds

Mtrain
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We are planning on going to Rocky Mountain National Park next summer, with only our motorhome. Wondering where we should stay to make it easiest to tour the park. It seems like there are a variety of shuttles. Should we stay in the park or in Estes Park? Thanks.
25 REPLIES 25

Mtrain
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful information. Thank you so much !!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Re: Elk Meadows Resort. It is owned by the same company that owns Spruce Lake in Estes Park and Dakota Ridge in Golden. But between the two in Estes Park, I prefer Elk Meadows. The sites are laid out on a bit of a sloping hill, so if possible, try to get a site that is at the top of the hill and more to the south. The picture in my siggy is from Elk Meadows, site G15. The G sites are all 30 amp so if you can get by with that, I recommend G14 through G10. If you need 50 amp, then sections A/B/C and F are the ones for 50. H E R E is their map. I also prefer the restrooms at the top of the hill, there are 4 of them that are unisex, sort of like being in your home bathroom, with privacy and very clean showers, if that matters to you.

Since you're looking to do all of the 4 NP that you mention, to get the 58, I'll offer this suggestion. You'll only need 1 night at Great Sand Dunes. If you leave Estes Park early and go directly there, you'll have a goodly part of the afternoon and evening to see the Dunes and play in Medano Creek at the base of the Dunes. There's a CG in the park (Pinon Flats) as well as a commercial CG just outside the entrance (Oasis CG). Since you're in the MH, the 4X4 trails aren't really doable (!!). Yeah, one can spend more time there, but in the grand scheme of things, you'll probably enjoy Mesa Verde more that GSDNP.

I have not been to Black Canyon of the Gunnison since it became a National Park, so I'll not comment, since others have.

Mesa Verde has Morefield CG inside the park, and several commercial parks outside. I've stayed at Morefield and loved it. But then, I'm partial to staying inside the NPs. If you check the RVparkreviews site, look for Mancos in addition to Cortez for listings, or just Google "Mesa Verde Camping" and you'll come up with the same parks.

Mesa Verde is also deceptively large, with a LOT of driving between the various locales to visit. Most of the major venues are in the extreme southern park of the park. Parking could be an issue for your MH at some of the sites, as they are very popular. There's also fuel inside the park at the Morefield CG. There's a tunnel, but the height is 20 feet, so that won't be a problem. However, you won't be able to take your MH on the Wetherill Mesa Road as there is a length restriction of 25 feet; there are sharp curves and steep grades. Rangers do patrol that road (or did when I was there last), and enforce the restriction.

Hope you have a wonderful trip to our beautiful state!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Mtrain
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all of the advice. We can leave the dog at home but will need to go to all 4 national parks, even if for a short time. Have to get to all 58! I'll check on the walking distance of Elk Meadows, otherwise will be fine staying at Moraine I believe. Thanks !'

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
To read reviews on Elk Meadows RV or Spruce Lake RV here's a site:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/colorado/estes-park

Call and ask how far it is to catch the shuttle. Yes, they're expensive and probably not a 'resort-type' atmosphere but you're only spending possibly two nights and you'll be gone a good deal of time so sometimes you have to make do.

Still consider staying IN the park though.

Here is Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park's web site with lots of good information on things to do, road information, camping and the shuttle bus routes. Check it out thoroughly for help.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/shuttle_bus_route.htm

Your dog might hold you back from doing things in the national parks. Any chance of having a relative or neighbor taking it for this time?

If you haven't been to Mesa Verde Nat'l Park yet I would recommend doing that if you can work it in. If you can, the boys - and you - would love one of the ranger walks to the ruins. There's one that you climb ladders and crawl through a very short tunnel (6 or 8') to get from ruin to ruin. That would be fun depending on the boys' ages.

I really don't think the boys would get much out of Black Canyon unless you just do a drive through. From there you could take 50 south through Montrose and pick up 62 at Ridgway, then 145 south into Cortez and Mesa Verde.

You have a lot of options for this awesome state. Hope you can return and do more.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
The walking distance from Elk Meadow is one mile to the Visitor Center...uphill (but you would be downhill coming back! ๐Ÿ™‚ )
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
For seven days IN Colorado, here is what I would recommend:
1 day to get from Grand Junction to Estes Park
I-70 to US 6 (short) to CO 119 North to Nederland
72 North to 7 to Estes Park
The portion from 199 to Estes is called the "Peak to Peak Highway"

Then 3 nights, 2 full days in Estes Park and RMNP.

1 day to get from Estes Park to Gunnison, CO
Use Peak to Peak to get back to I-70 W to CO 91 @ Copper Mt.
@ Leadville, US 24 through Buena Vista, Poncha Springs
and over Monarch on US 50 to Gunnison.

Then 2 nights, 1 full day at Gunnison, Visit Black Canyon, Blue Mesa,
drive up to Crested Butte, Taylor Creek

1 day to get from Gunnison to Mesa Verde
US 50 to Montrose, US 550 to Ridgeway
then 62 and 145 to Cortez. 160 to Mesa Verde (short)
Then 2 nights, 1 full day to visit Mesa Verde

This could all be done in reversed order. Note that I have eliminated Great Sand Dunes because I think you need your seven days for these three stops AND because these routes: Peak to Peak highway and through Leadville, Buena Vista (Arkansas Valley and the Collegiate Peaks) will be a far better taste of Colorado.

Peak to Peak is a curvy, unlevel road but no difficult passes. Just a slow but beautiful drive. Monarch is the only major pass on this trip except on I-70 and it is an excellent roadway.

If you are interested I can give you much more information about this route and the places you could overnight. You may send a PM if you wish.

Mtrain
Explorer
Explorer
That's exactly what we're looking for. Since we don't have a car, we're willing to pay for convenience and location. Thanks.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
What Padredw said... Both the Sundeck and The Other Side restaurants are easy walks. There's a grocery as well in the same complex as The Other Side.

Gary

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I believe that would be "Elk Meadows." We have never stayed there. We usually stay just down the road a bit at "Spruce Lake." I think they may be owed by the same company. We just got started at Spruce Lake because of friends we met there over the years.

Yes, they are too expensive and yes, they are two crowded--that is sites are too close together, but yes, they are very convenient to the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park and they have full hook-ups which some of us require.

Mtrain
Explorer
Explorer
Do you happen to know the name of the campground?

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Price/Value aside, there is a commercial camp ground within walking distance of the Beaver Meadows park entrance, where you can board the shuttles, as well as a couple of decent restaurants...

Gary

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Told you Thom would be good! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Mtrain
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. We'll have 7 days to travel around Colorado, plus three more to get there and back from LA. Def want to see all of the parks as we're trying to see all 58 national parks with our boys. It sounds like just a day each at the other parks will be adequate based on your post. Thanks again.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjsurfer wrote:
Do they allow dogs on the shuttles?

Ron W

I don't know about on the shuttles, but dogs are not allowed on any of the trails within RMNP. They are allowed only in parking lots and on a 6-foot leash.

Dogs are allowed in the campgrounds, but again must be on a leash, and cannot be left unattended.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.