cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finger Lakes campground advice

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to Niagara, Thousand Island,Finger Lakes. Already been to falls, Corning, and Watkins Glen. Want to spend time in Finger Lakes. I've marked about 30 attractions. Falls, museums, and historic homes to see. My question, where should we stay? Should we get one central campground location, or should we move a couple times?
14 REPLIES 14

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the KOA also, very clean/maintained campground. Noise from race track & freight train was noticeable but not a deal breaker.
We had chose to stay in the cheaper part of the campground. It's just a few minutes from downtown Watkins Glen to the campground, made a good home base to tour the area.

Back area sites are fabulous but $$$

2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Kentucky_Joe wrote:
Decided we need a campground in northwest finger lake area. Then move east for a different cg in northeast. Then head to Watkins s Glen area. We prefer full hookups. Any suggestions of cg appreciated.

The 2 FHU parks in the Glen are Clute park on the lake downtown and the KOA outside town close to the race track. We've stayed at both. Clute is nice but the sites are tight to each other. There's a real nice park across the street right on the lake, and there's a Walmart within walking distance. In fact downtown is in walking distance as well, with plenty of trendy restaurants and things to do. Sailboat cruises start from a dock downtown.

The KOA is up a fairly steep hill. The reviews complained about train noise (actually a plus for me) and there were a few trains that went by. Pulling the hill amplifies the normal sound and the length of time you hear it. However, we found the noise from the race track to be more of an issue. They have some newer, nicer sites in the back section with fancy patios etc. I would do the KOA if there was no race during my stay (race schedule available online) and I would pay the extra couple of bucks for a site in the back.

Clute is fine for a short stay. If you're towing a car, hit the wine trail and the Montage Italian restaurant up the hill on Rt 14.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Decided we need a campground in northwest finger lake area. Then move east for a different cg in northeast. Then head to Watkins s Glen area. We prefer full hookups. Any suggestions of cg appreciated.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Also depends on what you like to do. FL is a beautiful area and I live in the Naples area. If you like to do winery visits and tastings, then I would suggest Sampson State Park, and that puts you in a good place to tour east side of Seneca Lake wineries one day and west side of Cayuga the next. That would be pretty central, between Niagra and Thousand Islands. The small towns are also worth visiting for local artists/antiques/food - Naples and Hammondsport are good examples. There are also many new craft breweries/cideries throughout the area.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed @ Hickory Hill Family Resort - nice - clean - nice sites - things to do in the area and nice riding on the Harley to the wineries.
Paul127

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
That really depends on how far from home base is too far for you. If traveling a couple hours each way is not a problem, one centrally located park should cover the area fine. If that's too much, move around.

I will second the suggestion of Letchworth SP. It's lovely.

Edit: fix typo.

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I apologize. I didn't make myself clear. We plan to stay in Niagara Falls and Thousand Island. What I want to know is, can I get a campground somewhere near/in the Finger lakes and then venture out from there to see the sites of just the Finger Lakes or are they spread out too far and we need to change cg.

Salty_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking to spend time at Niagara, Thousand Islands, and the Finger lakes, you'll likely want to stay at campgrounds closer to each. While we live in the Finger Lakes, we stay in the Thousand Islands - we like Jacques Cartier State Park, Higley Flow, and Wellsley Island. For Niagara Falls, I really do not have a recommendation - it has been some time since we stayed in that area. For the Finger Lakes, we like Sampson State Park, Hickory Hill, Snedeker Acres, Watkins KOA, and a handful of smaller regional parks. Lots of choices for the many attractions to see. Good luck.
Wife, kids, somebody else's kids, dog, kitchen sink

Cleverly disguised as an adult.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Sampson SP is one of the better state parks in the finger lakes.
Turning Stone is a very nice place.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
msb1766 wrote:
Watkins Glen KOA is a nice place. it's listed as a resort, they have been slowly adding more sites, Sites are nice and long and wide. 1/2 hour to Corning Museum of Glass
10 Minutes to Race track, 15 minutes to Downtown.

If you do the KOA, try to get a site in the back. Much nicer back there.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

msb1766
Explorer
Explorer
Watkins Glen KOA is a nice place. it's listed as a resort, they have been slowly adding more sites, Sites are nice and long and wide. 1/2 hour to Corning Museum of Glass
10 Minutes to Race track, 15 minutes to Downtown.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Sampson SP is on the east side of Seneca Lake about in the middle (north-south). Haven't been there yet, may be later this year. It is the old Navy induction site (my father in law was there during WWII). It now has a museum about its history, with an archive of those who were there.

If you want or need more info about WNY, just ask, I grew you here and still live here.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While a bit west of the finger lakes, check out Letchworth State Park - 3 very nice waterfalls & a campground at the other end of the park.

If you are willing to make a 2 1/2 hour drive into Pennsylvania, you can visit my favorite state park - Ricketts Glen. Dry camping with hot showers, and 22 waterfalls; hundreds of beautiful cascades along 5 miles of stream.

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where you want to visit, I would recommend that you camp at the north side of the lakes, then move south. As an example, near Auburn and then near Watkins Glen. Chute Park or Watkins Glen KOA are popular parks.

I hope you have the Curtis Wright Museum near Hammondsport, NY on your list. Very interesting Museum.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!