cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FL Keys in June

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone go there early to mid June? Looking for info on weather. Looks like it will be warm, upper 80’s-low 90’s. Just wondering what others thoughts are.
Also what is there to do other than Key West, and snorkeling. I’m think 4 days while there.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
20 REPLIES 20

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
No I was going to go in June which is not in season even though it is about a week after off season starts. What I’m saying is looks like I will have to go in season when I have the week to stay!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
JoeH wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
I've been to the Keys once, so I'm no expert. But that "once" was last month! Someone mentioned the difficulty with parking in Key West. Well, let me tell you what we did. They have those curbside pay kiosks. You buy a certain amount of time and get a slip to put on your dashboard. We parked in one spot, ate dinner at a nearby restaurant, and then moved and parked in two different locations in the city - using our timed slip on the dashboard to allow us to park in both new places. I thought it was great!

Sunsets at Mallory Square are... amazing. Because of people-watching mostly.

Dive charters from Marathon and from Big Pine Key were terrific.

We had such a good time (camped at Bahia Honda) that we've already made our reservations to go back next April.

Woo hoo!

-Speak

Good to hear. we definitely want to go. Most places require a 7 day stay during peak season. So we will probably do that sometime in the future when I have the time to stay that long!

You said early to mid-June-- that is not peak season. Peak season is the late fall to spring. We stay at Blue Water Key and if you make your reservation within 30 days of arrival, there is NO minimum stay requirement. Off season, it's 3 nights, in season, 7 nights.

Yes definitely in season. And if I wait till 30 days before I may not get a spot. Not willing to risk that for a planned trip.

You say JUne and in season... June is NOT in season. So, if you go in June, and say you go to Blue Water, it's a 3 night minimum even if you make reservations a year in advance. , not sure about Boyd's as I haven't been there in a few years.
Regardless, hope you get a chance to go !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeH wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
I've been to the Keys once, so I'm no expert. But that "once" was last month! Someone mentioned the difficulty with parking in Key West. Well, let me tell you what we did. They have those curbside pay kiosks. You buy a certain amount of time and get a slip to put on your dashboard. We parked in one spot, ate dinner at a nearby restaurant, and then moved and parked in two different locations in the city - using our timed slip on the dashboard to allow us to park in both new places. I thought it was great!

We had such a good time (camped at Bahia Honda) that we've already made our reservations to go back next April.

Woo hoo!

-Speak

Good to hear. we definitely want to go. Most places require a 7 day stay during peak season. So we will probably do that sometime in the future when I have the time to stay that long!

You said early to mid-June-- that is not peak season. Peak season is the late fall to spring. We stay at Blue Water Key and if you make your reservation within 30 days of arrival, there is NO minimum stay requirement. Off season, it's 3 nights, in season, 7 nights.

Yes definitely in season. And if I wait till 30 days before I may not get a spot. Not willing to risk that for a planned trip.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah with the very brief mini-lobster season in July being the exception, this is as far away from the season as you can get. The "season' traditionally runs from Thanksgiving to sometime in Spring when the weather breaks up north which is usually March or April.

June-August is the dead season, some restaurants are closed along with some other tourist attractions. Prices are greatly reduced in campgrounds and so on.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:

Woo hoo!

-Speak

Joe

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:

Woo hoo!

-Speak

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer

Woo hoo!

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove to Key West once in August. The coolest temp in a week was 78 at o500. I really enjoyed my time there because it was quiet. The conchs were around and people from the South. Few tourists from New York.

I remember watching the tarpon on the incoming tide flashing and being lit up from the lightning. I stayed in an old motel made out of cypress. It was like being in an old movie.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone. I should say that we are stopping at other places along the way. So it’s not 1300miles straight to spend 4 days. But I think I have heard what I need in that while the weather will be warm, it won’t be uncomfortable for the stay!

Maybe I’ll try destin!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
In 2017 we went to Key west for 3 days the first week of June. This was our first time. We thought it was nice at 90. But then that was cooler than it was at home in AZ...but humid.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've been there every month of the year for for many,many years. Every month has something different about it. You are right about the temps... figure upper 80's -> low 90's. You'll have a breeze so that tempers the heat.
We prefer the lower keys and Key West. Many good restaurants and places to listen to music. Being a tourist destination, there are lots of things to do.
Marathon also has a good number of things to do and several good restaurants. Islamorada is the self-claimed sport fishing capital of the world. Key Largo has Pennekamp State Park.
Places to stay--- we stay at Blue Water Key pretty much most of the time.
Also near Key West is Boyd's and El Mar. Geiger Key Marina also has several campsites.
Joe

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
WE have spent 5 days down there in the summer a couple of times. Like many of the above we prefer Marathon at Pirates Cove CG. You need to avoid lobster season which only runs for a few days. But that is July 24th and 25th this year.

We do not find the temps to be oppressive, there is usually a sea breeze to cool you off and Pirates Cove has lots of trees. We are Floridians tho. They have a swimming beach right at the CG and you can snorkel right there. But the best snorkeling is off the tour boats which will run you out to various reefs and wrecks. The wrecks are mainly for SCUBA tho. The tours aren't that pricey. And they usually do two sites each trip. They put their swimmers in the water with you as a safety measure.

We usually do a day trip to Key West, the sunset on the pier is worth seeing. But like most we don't like Key West that much, parking is very difficult and mobs of bar crawlers infest the streets. Somewhat like New Orleans but without the music. Amazingly I was looking at reserving a CG here in Florida this week and Bahia Honda has open slots! Very rare. Indeed almost all of the State Parks had open slots.

One comment on driving to the Keys, we usually get on the Florida Turnpike and follow it to the very end. This avoids the worst of the Miami-Lauderdale horrific traffic. And the road drops you off on A1A a few miles from the start of the Keys bridges. Fuel up right after you get off. Everything costs more in the Keys. Stock up on groceries too before you get down there.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
Not an ideal time of year to go. Definitely off-season. It’s going to be hot, humid, and probably will rain each day. Florida in the summer is terrible.

And it is hurricane season too. Pretty much all summer.

Regardless of what you decide to do, please check the long term weather forecast a few days before you go and if anything big is predicted, DON'T GO.

It could save your life.....and it certainly could prevent you from getting into a big MESS.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
How about almost 1600 miles! For that amount of driving we spend at least a month in Florida. It's not the heat it's the humidity. Dew Points in the 70's. Anything about 60 is uncomfortable.
Do a Google search for `Key West tourism' and read all about what to do. Of course, you have to have at least a piece of Key Lime Pie. A bus tour the first day might be informative. Follow up on where you want to spend more time.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)