cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Keys in Winter

Painter3066
Explorer
Explorer
In 2017 we are planning to go to the Keys for the winter. My question is what parks have you stayed at and how far in advance do you need to book your reservations? I was looking at Boyds and Blue water key and possibly Sugarloaf Koa. This will be our first time to be snowbirds an we are excited. Thanks in advance for your replies.
12 REPLIES 12

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:

I don't know about the OP, but the reason to go so far south to the Keys, is that the Keys are the warmest part of Florida. .

Well you can almost say that for all of Florida south of Orlando; especially close to the coasts.

Even in Ocala we only had two heavy frost days last year and it was 65 again by 2 PM.

It's all a matter of personal priorities....and cost.

Painter3066
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for your replies. WE are looking forward to seeing the keys.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, removed post, wrong forum.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Painter3066 wrote:
In 2017 we are planning to go to the Keys for the winter.

Is there some special reason that you want to go that far south ??

I don't know about the OP, but the reason to go so far south to the Keys, is that the Keys are the warmest part of Florida. Last winter they had a record overnight low of 48 degrees - lucky we had propane!

State Parks are beautiful, but you have to have reservations exactly 11 months in advance, and can only stay 2 weeks. The comments above are all good, but make reservations VERY early, and be prepared to pay $2000-3000 a month ....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Knight's Key for just 4 nights about 3 years ago. It has a pretty laid back atmosphere and some of the sites were somewhat generous with space. The sites nearest the marina were pretty tight though. While they don't have sewer service they provided a pump out service and the fellow handling this seemed to be pretty active.

We enjoy a good long morning walk and Knight's Key is just across the highway from the old bridge that runs parallel with the main highway. The old bridge is a great place to walk or bike.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Key Largo Kampground on Key largo

They have two small private sandy beaches, and a large swimming pool
It is gaited and they have lots of amenities as well as their own private canal with a boat ramp.
It is right next to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park.
It is also only an hour from The Everglades National Park

We love it.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Painter3066 wrote:
In 2017 we are planning to go to the Keys for the winter.

Some of "the keys" are not much bigger than a good RV park on the mainland; these are small islands and land space is at a premium.

Since this is 2 years out, you have time to scout the situation yourself. Visit the area yourself.....by car.....in January....to get a good feel for what the real situation is.

The good places on mainland Fla. are packed full in the winter time.
I suspect that ALL of the places in the Keys fill up early; maybe a year in advance.

Is there some special reason that you want to go that far south ??

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Bluewater if you can afford it, probably about 3-4000 for a month.

Sugarloaf is very tight and also expensive
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boyd's is on Stock Island and a bicycle ride to Duval St and all the happenings. It is pretty crowded and if you are 40 ft or more, it's a tight squeeze. Blue Water is by far the best. It's at about mile marker 14, so it's a 20 minute drive into Key West. Sites have tiki huts and enough vegetation to provide privacy. Sugar Loaf is about on a par with Boyd's, pretty packed in, they do have an onsite bar, it's about mile marker 20, so about 30 minutes to key west or about 30 minutes to Marathon. Other places to consider- El Mar on Stock Island, down the street from Boyd's - only a handful of sites so not packed...Geiger Key Marina/RV. Again maybe a dozen or so sites, at about MM11. If you don't have dogs, Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge is a great place. (no dogs because of the key deer that roam the property). Knights Key is pretty good place. Only downside is they don't have sewer, but they do have a honey wagon that comes by to pump you out. As soon as you figure out when you want to go and where, get your reservations ASAP !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
I would also look at Joly Roger (Marathon) and I would make reservations as soon as possible. Allot of folks book when the leave for next year. The FL-Keys are real popular (And expensive).

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Which one of these duplicate posts are we to respond to?

Not a duplicate, just 2 from different folks about the same place..lol I did a double take also!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Which one of these duplicate posts are we to respond to?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)