cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Giant City SP, Illinois

scotty1946
Explorer
Explorer
What can you tell me about the campsites in the park? Level? Water? Shade? Etc.
5 REPLIES 5

Chucknbob
Explorer
Explorer
Never camped there, but wet to college in Carbondale and spent a lot of time at the park. It's beautiful with great hiking trails. There's also several wineries nearby that are worth a stop (if that's your thing).

Also, I agree that giant city lodge is the best Sunday lunch around.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't tell you anything about the campgrounds, but when we used to live down there (near Anna, IL) we used to go to the Sunday dinners at the lodge. They were the best dining experience we've had at a state park. Family style, sit at tables with other families, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, the works. A great experience. That was 20 years ago, but hopefully they've kept that tradition alive.

sloman2001
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI, you might also try Crab Orchard Campground. It is right on the Lake. If I recall, they open Apr 1. Water and electric, but have a dump station. It's a very nice park close to Giant City SP. We stayed there and felt it was a good location, right off Hwy 13 into Carbondale. Cash/check only when we were there.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Check that you are not going during a cicada hatch. They are deafening. But it's a very nice park.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Nice campground. Level. Lots of shade. Electric sites. The DNR website shows water hook ups at some sites. If so they've added them over the last few years and I haven't noticed. Use to they had community water faucets around the campground you could fill from.
Giant City SP
It's a very popular state park. I'd recommend getting reservations as soon as you finalize your dates.
Camped in every state