cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim Hike - May 2017

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I need some advice. We haven't been able to find reservations for the motorhome on the south rim. Unfortunately Grand Canyon Camper Village is already booked up. We need to be close enough to walk or be able to get a shuttle to wherever we leave the motorhome since we will leave our toad at the North Rim when we begin the hike. Does anyone know of a good RV park that offers a shuttle from the South Rim? We want somewhere trustworthy since we will be leaving the motorhome unattended for several days.

Right now we have reservations at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas to leave the motorhome unless we find something else closer.

We have a hotel reservation about 16 miles from the North Rim for 2 nights before we begin the hike. We have our reservations for tent camping in the Canyon for three nights - (1 night each of three campgrounds). I have a hotel reservation for the day we hike out on the South Rim for one night. As a fallback plan, I also made reservations for a Shuttle to drive us back from the South Rim to the North Rim to pick up our toad and drive back to Las Vegas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
10 REPLIES 10

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
you know you could solve your problem by just hiking back to the south rim.. :B
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.grandcanyoncampervillage.com/

This place is right outside the south rim gates. Everyone forgets about it They may have a spot or storage.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
link to a post about our trip.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the RV park in Williams at the railroad.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/arizona/williams/grand-canyon-railway-rv-park

Best of luck on the hike! We hiked down the Bright Angel to meet the raft for a 9-day trip. Going down was even difficult. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:

Leave the RV at Williams. Take the toad to North Rim. Hike through. Take the train to Williams to get the RV.

A

Do you have a place in mind in Williams that is close to the train station?
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Out of the usual box:::::

Leave the RV at Williams. Take the toad to North Rim. Hike through. Take the train to Williams to get the RV.

North to South is the way to go because of the elevation difference and the temperatures.

We hiked down (years ago) and were picked up by a Western River Expeditions J-Boat float tour at Phantom then white watered down to below Anvil Falls for a helo lift-out.

Have fun!

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I am just surprised there is a shuttle available rim to rim. That is over 200 miles. Not cheap I would guess.

$90 per person one way.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I am just surprised there is a shuttle available rim to rim. That is over 200 miles. Not cheap I would guess.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
There are a couple campgrounds in Tusayan, AZ that are within a mile or so of the entrance to the South Rim Park. I think the park shuttle bus goes into Tusayan, but even so, anybody wanting to hike rim to rim shouldn't have any trouble with the level hike from Tusayan to the park. I stayed in one of those parks for a few days a few years ago, and don't think you'd have any trouble there. But it has been a couple years since I was last there. I note that both Allstays and RVParky show only Grand Canyon Camper Village IN Tusayan. That's where I'd leave the RV.

Unfortunately Grand Canyon Camper Village is already booked up.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
There are a couple campgrounds in Tusayan, AZ that are within a mile or so of the entrance to the South Rim Park. I think the park shuttle bus goes into Tusayan, but even so, anybody wanting to hike rim to rim shouldn't have any trouble with the level hike from Tusayan to the park. I stayed in one of those parks for a few days a few years ago, and don't think you'd have any trouble there. But it has been a couple years since I was last there. I note that both Allstays and RVParky show only Grand Canyon Camper Village IN Tusayan. That's where I'd leave the RV.