cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grant Teton - Yellowstone - Glacier

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
This probably falls into the category of OK to make plans; just don't plan the outcome -- but seeing posts on here again got DW and I thinking that we would like to get to these places one more time -- and I am a planner (enjoy it a lot).

OK, have been to all these places before but, God willing (we ARE getting older but still very healthy at this point)want to make one more trip up to these places from Tucson area.

We have gone late summer / early fall but now want to head up spring / early summer 2016. I do a lot of photography as many of you know and want to get some images of that time of year.

But want to also find new places along the routes - maybe change the routes some as we are in no hurry and wander some.

Thought is to go to the route of GT, then Y and then G east then west and back.

I will know the general opening dates and all that so date info not needed; places places to see and do would be appreciated.

This Forum has always been a great source of info so time to pick brains again.

You can post here or PM me or email me at LaurenH517@gmail.com

Thanks.

Be safe.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

18 REPLIES 18

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for input.

Thought was from W Yellowstone to just head up the 287 overnighting at Helana to the 89 to Browning to the 464 to up and around to St. Mary. Don't like the 89 between Browning & St. Mary with the 5er - been there done that, once; prefer the 464.

The goal here was to get between W Yell and St. Mary as a necessity and not a meander and oooh and aaah. But spent some time with jeff9ack thoughts and looked them all over - thanks for that. Maybe there is a place we could stay in the middle there for a couple of nights or, since this is not a great distance for two days, routes we could take that might be a little longer but of more interest.

My friend, Ken (4runnerguy), has good input as well and much appreciated. Over the years I have gotten to know Ken pretty well here on the Forum and know he has good, solid info.

Now looking at getting home from West Glacier and for new things to see. We have not been to Coeur d' Alane for many decades and long before RV'ing and were thinking of going over to there, then down to Clarkston area, down to Caldwell and then head to home just south of Tucson.

Thanks for input; further thoughts are welcome.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Have looked at the state park now........it looks pretty good!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Preliminarily I am looking at Bear Lake / Garden City KOA and Big Mtn CG in Nephi.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
May I ask which one is the campground in Nephi Utah that you really like.If you could give me the name I would appreciate it .We will be traveling around that area soon so that would help.Thanks

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Bear Lake a few years ago on the Utah side. Beautiful views of the lake when going up the mountain towards Logan.The campground if I remember correctly has only partial hookups.Check it out.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, good info. Ken has great ideas and the kind of thing we want to find and do on the way. I saw this squiggly road east of Nephi and heading up to Payson and was wondering about that and hence decided Nephi might be a good place to stop and looks like good rv park there as well. Don't think we will hike Mt. Timp though; even just the online pix scare the heck out of me!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Snowfall has been lean in UT this year, so the snow may melt off and the flowers blooming a little early this year. Some ideas for the central Utah area:

So have you done the Alpine Loop (UT 92) on the back side of Mt. Timpanogos? Narrow, curvy road so no place to tow, but great scenery. There's also a nice road on the back side of Mt. Nebo. These are drives you could make out of Nephi.

Another scenic byway is Utah 150 up past Mirror Lake. Very busy on weekends with traffic out of SLC. Gorgeous scenery though.

If you do go up past Bear Lake on UT 89, do stop at Ricks Spring right along the highway. Interesting cave with a good flow of water coming out of it.

You've got a year to plan, so I'm sure you'll come up with a lot more ideas!
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yeh, I do use one of those 10 or so inch ones with the screw cap on the bottom to set out the legs. Works great with the P/S camera. If I remember to take it along when we leave the 5er!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You probably already know about this trail, but if not -- it goes first to Fairy Falls (nice, but not Yosemite) and then to the Imperial Geyser area. The trail is maybe three miles each way, with very little elevation gain. Imperial is really great -- it goes off almost continuously. You can get as close as you dare -- no boardwalks. On a cold October day, we sat on the geothermally-warmed ground and took in the show -- and yes, this was a tripod shot with a timer:

We did not see anyone else on this trail, during an entire day of wandering around. By the way, instead of a big tripod, you could bring a mini-pod -- it works almost as well, if you don't mind bending down to set up the shot. Here is our blog post -- just scroll down to Imperial:

Yellowstone blog post, including Imperial Geyser trail
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

j3ff9ack
Explorer
Explorer
Here are my recommendations from Salt Lake City north.

Logan Canyon and Bear Lake - great canyon drive and nice views - lots of places to stay for a day or two just off US 89 all the way to GTNP.

If you haven't seen Flaming Gorge, then go up US 191 through Vernal and stay a couple days around the area, then North to GTNP.

Between Yellowstone and Glacier, you have several great routes to take. Plenty of Forest Service campgrounds and private ones also. From West to East:

1. Take US 287 North out to Ennis, then MT 287 to Twin Bridges, then MT 41 to Dillon, then MT 278 to Wisdom, then over to US 93. The route to US 93 goes through ghost towns (Virginia City) and several river valleys that are excellent trout streams (Madison, Ruby, Beaverhead and Big Hole - if you're into that). Pretty country all the way. Then go North on US 93 through the Bitterroot valley to Missoula.

2. Take US 287 North to I-90, then I-90 North to either Garrison and take MT 141 and MT 200 to MT 83, or stay on I-90 to just south of Missoula and take MT 200 to MT 83, then North to Bigfork. More nice country and rivers that you see in movies.

3. Take US 287 North all the way to Choteau. It follows the Missouri River up to the Gates of the Mountains. You get great views of the eastern Rockies just the way that Lewis and Clark saw them.

You guys are seasoned travelers and will find plenty to do on this trip. I have been on all of these routes and all the roads are good for towing. There are some mountains to go over, but nothing like the Beartooth. Have a great trip...
2007 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 RKS
2014 RAM 3500 SRW CC CTD 68RFE

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list." I like that.

You ask a good question on the camera equipment. Here I am, the guy with never a photography lesson in his life and never did it for a living (but now has gallery exhibits, magazine covers & inside pix and sells prints) that gets asks to speak at photo clubs. And similar questions are asked.

I do not take my main camera hiking with the tripod and all. Too heavy and bulky.

There are great point and shoot cameras out there these days and, quite honestly, some phones have great cameras. One of my best Grand Canyon shots (first picture on www.LaurensPix.com under On The Roads link) was shot with a p/s camera a few years back. Were out on the South Rim after dinner walking the dog and this appeared for about 5 minutes and I got it.

Am open to suggestions on hiking. We are both fit but not the 9 of 10 level hikers we used to be. (I also used to run races up to 50 mile trail in my 40's and 50's - REALLY crazy!).
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to Yellowstone, consider The Bear Tooth HWY just north east of Yellowstone. We did it last September and it was great. Would recommend that you do a truck tour and not take a trailer on this road. One of the nicest spots I have seen. Also the Chief Josef HWY too.
Dr Quick

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren, how far can you hike, comfortably, in a day, with your camera equipment? There are a lot of little-known destinations that we could recommend, depending on your abilities. And congratulations on being "older but healthy" -- that is a great goal and a great achievement!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Don't make it too early Summer, at least for Glacier. In 2011, the Going to the Sun road didn't open until July 13th. That was the latest date in recent history, but if you want to drive the road (and you should, or, at least take one of the "red bus" tours) check that the road is open. Lots of great hiking, particularly on the East side of the park.

For something fun & different, drive out to the Polebridge Mercantile on the West side of Glacier for a cinnamon bun or sticky roll. A great bakery out in the middle of nowhere!

One stop between Yellowstone/the Tetons that I like to make is at Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho.