cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headed to Fancy Gap KOA for Memorial Day weekend- got lucky!

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to procrastinate when it comes to booking cg's apparently. I got the last spot they had today. I called Zooland and Dan Nicholas and both were full. I guess this is one of the busiest camping weekends of the year. Glad we got in as this KOA is one of our favorite campgrounds, although I will say they seem to keep going up in price. I guess if you find a nice cg that's under $40 a night, you've found something special.
Anyone camping there that weekend? Looking forward to our normal routine of hiking to the Devil's Den and checking out Mt. Airy. Any recommendations for a restaurant to try?
8 REPLIES 8

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Checked out that Snappy Lunch from the street. Looked interesting. We usually stay at FG in the fall and I've been there when it was starting to snow! Hopefully it will be warm enough for my son to swim, but I doubt it. He'll stay at the fishing pond and gameroom.
They also have a TCBY in Mt. Airy, another favorite.

hessp
Explorer
Explorer
We camped there two weeks ago and I agree, it's great. Funny, it was 36 degrees the morning we left - where did Spring go? I'll be thinking of you over the holiday weekend (and will be envious too!)

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:
I tend to procrastinate when it comes to booking cg's apparently. I got the last spot they had today. I called Zooland and Dan Nicholas and both were full. I guess this is one of the busiest camping weekends of the year. Glad we got in as this KOA is one of our favorite campgrounds, although I will say they seem to keep going up in price. I guess if you find a nice cg that's under $40 a night, you've found something special.
Anyone camping there that weekend? Looking forward to our normal routine of hiking to the Devil's Den and checking out Mt. Airy. Any recommendations for a restaurant to try?

Go to the Snappy Lunch in Mt. Airy and have a pork chop sandwich and close your eyes to the calories...:D
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Yea we ate there and loved it. Thanks

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
go down 52 south of fancy gap and eat at the Farmers Daughter/ Hungry Farmer café/grill/restaurant(CANA, NC) or something like that on the left hand side of road. it has a Friday night fish buffet and a buffet any other time and it good home cooked food. We always try to get one meal there any time we stay at the KOA. then head back up the hill tot eh campground. it s in the area where all the farmers market, apple barn type places are.
randy
have fun.
we will back yard camp this year as we have the last 5 years.
Buddy has a 7-8 acre field behind his house and we camp out there each year and have big cookout on that Sunday before the holiday. he has several out buildings that have power and they have acquired 30amp RV plugs on several so we have power but no water.

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome that you were able to get a reservation for Memorial Day weekend this late. Have a great time!!!

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Always do. They get my highest marks for many reasons.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you found a place to go! have a great time and let us know how it was. Post it on Rv park reviews too.....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992