cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading south freezing temps

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where my post went! Try again. We are leaving Ontario to head south on Dec.15. Temps going way below freezing. Rig winterized. 2 big dogs. Planning on staying in our usual open all year campground first night. Furnace, 2 heaters, electric fireplace, electric blanket. Heated clean washrooms. Will hydralic slides work in these temps? Can we stay hooked up and not put landing gear down? Only one vent in furnace blocked when slides in. Are we crazy?
19 REPLIES 19

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have to deal with the level of cold you guys do but I just leave the furnace on 65 all the time (even while towing) and the trailer stays nice and warm. I don't have to worry about getting it warmed up when I stop and the expense of propane is not a show stopper. Just wondering why folks don't leave the furnace on while towing?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived in Alberta we left for down south in -35 celcius a couple times with our truck and fifth wheel. It is not ideal but we stayed in it 2 nights in cold weather on the way down with our 2 dogs. We left the slides in and made due and were quite fine. The worst thing we experienced was a frozen memory foam mattress. The following year we pre warmed our trailer for a couple days and that solved that problem. Having the slides in I think is easier to heat and less potential for things that may freeze up. Some RV's are not useable with the slides in though so that is another thing.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
We stay ahead of the storms , last year we left at 1:am in the morning to beat a snow storm coming in, better to be ahead than behind it.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
jergeod wrote:
The_Painting_Teacher can you fill in the places you stop by name and location?

I've sent you a PM with details.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We too travel south once Christmas is past us and we've had a month or so of skiing.

The hydraulic slides work fine in the cold (hydraulic landing gear and jacks too), they just run slower.

What we do is heat the trailer up a couple of days before we go, get the fridge going, and load 'er up.

The first night we stop where the temps are usually still below freezing. Last year they also had about 3' of snow on the ground so had to plow out a site each time someone came in.

For that night's stop we stay hooked up, we don't put down the landing gear, we put out the slides, crank the furnace and a couple of ceramic heaters. Then, because the next night's stop will be significantly warmer, we'll de-winterize as the underbelly stays warm enough overnight with the furnace running, as does the basement and the universal docking station. For water, we'll \put enough water in the fresh tank to do us for that night.

For us the biggest issue is the weather. We try to give ourselves a wide window so we can adjust our departure date as needed, based on the forecast. We had to delay a day last year, in fact. And even then, though the forecast was good, we had about five hours of towing on heavily snow covered roads.

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dutch. Every positive experience eases the stress. We have travelled south several times in cold weather but these temps are frigid. We have a new rig and the hydralic stuff is new to us.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We leave upstate NY for Florida after spending the holidays with our kids. We fill the water tank and refrigerator a couple of days before we leave, and just keep the two furnaces set at 50 deg.F until the morning we leave, running on an external cylinder that gets left behind. We've never had a problem with the hydraulic jacks sticking or the gear drive slide not working, and we've been quite comfortable in weather as low as -4 deg.F. We do watch the weather and change our travel plans to avoid snow or high winds, adding or subtracting a day here and there as needed until we reach warmer weather.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks John and Joey good reminder about the Jack's freezing to the ground!

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
The_Painting_Teacher can you fill in the places you stop by name and location?
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for replies. We have decided to stay at Indianapolis camping world the first night. 50 amp hookups and help right there for anything that goes wrong. Feeling less stressed.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, I would leave them in. Why take a chance on the viscosity of the fluid breaking something. If it does snow, then you just got one more thing to deal with before turning the key and heading down the road.

I have been told the furnace is setup to run with slides in even. Don't know if that's really true or not, but would think it is. I would not put down the jacks in the rare case they might freeze to the ground.

If you got electric you should be fairly warm. Set the furnace low and let the electric heaters keep you warm. Close off doors and keep your personal area toasty.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, your original post ended up in the Mexico forum. I haven't had any problems with the hydraulics in cold weather (except they are slower), my main worry has been snow on the slides and trying to retract (Monroe Michigan last spring), they worked but it was messy inside afterwards!!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
On the slides working in cold temps, I've run mine out & in in freezing temperatures without an issue.

If I do not have AC power when moving the slides, I leave the truck plugged in and running when I move them. I also leave the outside door open to less the vacuum/pressure air displacement both opening and closing; takes strain off the slide system (both hydraulic & electric).

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
old post here
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman