cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hotels / Motels to stay at while traveling to Florida

napanee_ted
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know if anyone can suggest any Hotels/Motels that are easy on easy off interstate 81 around Carlisle P.A. and Chambersburg P.A. I have a new trailer and I want to make sure I will not have a problem getting into and out of the Hotel/Motel and have lots of room park .
14 REPLIES 14

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
The big hotel beside the Cracker Barrel in Chb (might be exit 14) has a huge parking lot.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
You should try to calculate you estimated travel time (I use 50-55 miles per hour as an average, even on Interstates due to stops) and figure the time you plan to stop driving for the day. From there use Google Earth or Google Maps to look at exits/motels for sufficient parking space.

We have always spent the first night on the road to Florida in a motel due to cold weather and have had no problem with space to park. This year we're leaving the end of November so the weather may be nicer than the end of December....we hope.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
I use Google earth to zoom in on the hotel/motel that I'm thinking about staying at. This will give you a very good idea of how much parking they have, and how it is laid out. Also it will help in navigating to it.

Ditto, I look for one with big parking areas.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Jonestown KOA a bit north of Harrisburg, PA is an easy on/off of I-81 and open year round. Pretty good deli food in the store too...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google earth to zoom in on the hotel/motel that I'm thinking about staying at. This will give you a very good idea of how much parking they have, and how it is laid out. Also it will help in navigating to it.

Also watch for how you get to their parking area. One place I zoomed in on had only an entrance road with a canopy over it (by the hotel front door) which lead to a huge parking area. When I call the hotel it turned out the canopy was only 8 feet high. What were they thinking. :S
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
You have a TT right? I would think you can find a few campgrounds to over night in!
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I use Google Earth to check out hotel access & parking in whatever areas we might be staying, I then make reservations with the one I think is best suited for parking our trailer overnight.

Always check with the hotel, some fill up quickly and parking may not be adequate even though Google Earth indicates lots of space.

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what time of year you are travelling so we don't know if you will still be winterized or not. I go to Carlisle every August for their Corvette show. We take the trailer and don't hotel it but I do know there are a mess of hotels at Exit 52. Go on Google maps and check out their parking lots then call one that looks good.

If you want to use your trailer Western Village RV Park is open all year round and are close to I-81.Take Exit 45, turn left at the exit, and their street, Greenwood, is about 1.5 miles on your left. Just take it easy as you come upon Greenwood rather quickly just after cresting a rise. It is clean, quiet, and well run. Western Village

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
www.allstays.com will show listings for motels with parking for large rigs. May be under the truckers section as that is who uses the listings a lot. Free on your pc - may have an app fee if using your phone.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dutchman,

Needed? Perhaps wanted. I can camp at -37 c (-34 f).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Look up your favorite brand of Motel in the area you are going to be in and simply give them a call. They will tell you if they have adequate parking for an RV.

FYI... Semi Truck drivers often stay in motels.... they have to park somewhere.

We use a Motel a couple times a year going to Florida from Indiana over Christmas week. Even though we have the camper, we don't want to un-winterize the camper until we are well South of the snow-belt. Usually, the first day of travel does not get us far enough South, so we anticipate our distance, find a motel that is pet friendly and always ask about parking the truck and trailer. We've NEVER had problems anywhere.

Yes, there are times when a motel is needed, even when we have our campers with us!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You can't stay at a campground?

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
We use red roof in Jan and unwinterize once we get south

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ummm why not just use the trailer? It is possible to find RV parks that are open year round, but it does take a bit of research.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.