cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you keep track of where you want to go?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Your 'someday' list, I mean :).

I use google maps on my phone. My map now has thousands of stars! But I have looked for an app that would let me annotate them.

Is there anything better out there? What do you all do?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
13 REPLIES 13

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google My Maps which allows a lot of customization - different colors and shapes for the placemarks and the option to add links, information and photographs. I thought that you could use My Maps with a smart phone but I've never tried it so I don't know if all of the information shows up.

We travel with very loose planning but since I mark places that we want to see and stay on my maps,it's very simple to look at one of the maps in the evening or the next morning and decide how we'll spend our day.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our schedule and all confirmed reservations, downloaded brochures, things to do, etc are uploaded to a dropbox folder where both of us and our daughter can access it via smartphones or from home.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If the time frame is this summer or next winter I keep the `plan' on a MS Excel file with dates and notes such as `confirmed by phone, charged $30 to Visa'.
For further down the road it's in my head.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
We only track where we have been, not where we think we may want to go. There's a new adventure around every turn and are too easily side tracked. ๐Ÿ™‚

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ductape wrote:
After a career spent enforcing order, when I get free to retire, there will be no agenda. No to-do lists.

Chaos and whim will rule. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doing things on a whim doesn't negate the value of having a plan.

Our plan is constantly changing and we often pull off when we see something interesting but we've found without a plan we often miss out on many things.

We use google earth as it gives a good spacial listing of what sites are nearby. We use different symbols for different items (campground, restaurants, museums, etc...)

We also color code them. Red are locations of interest that we haven't been to and Blue are locations we've been to. For camping, we also use Green as Free camping locations. Once you open the "properties" you can add notes about cost, quality, whatever you want.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mds1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm keeping a spreadsheet. Columns include the city and state which I can upload to Google Maps.

I also use a couple columns for links such as to blogs where I heard about the spot or to the name of the attraction.
Mark from Missouri

http://www.ourfutureinanrv.wordpress.com.

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

Looking to soon purchase Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35โ€™ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

debraindi
Explorer
Explorer
I find someplace where the Hog map suggest cool riding. find a camp ground make reservation and book mark my trips and campgrounds. My lady is the best when it comes to reading maps.This Friday is our Colorado trip. I used the forums to find Ridgeway state park near Ouray CO.
2013 LML Duramax
2015 311 Keystone Impact
200q 24 partycraft 150 mercury
Time out motor cycle trailer
2009 Harley RG 575 cams thunder-max tuned
1970 350 JD crawler loader

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ductape, you are so right -- "whim" is one of the very best things about RVing. No reservations, no firm plans. Once we were heading for the North Cascades. DW called the ranger up there and was told there was too much snow -- roads and trails all closed. DW looks out the window -- "There's Mt. Rainier!! Take this exit!" We spent the next ten days hiking all over that amazing mountain -- all on a moment's whim.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
After a career spent enforcing order, when I get free to retire, there will be no agenda. No to-do lists.

Chaos and whim will rule. ๐Ÿ˜‰
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a whole folder on my computer just for these sorts of things -- notes on campgrounds, possible destinations, and so forth. There are so many places on my wish list that we will never get to them all.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I add a star to my google map whenever I hear or read about a cool place. Then, when I am in the vicinity up pops my star. 'Hey, we'll be just a few miles from XYZ; let's stop there!'
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i don't plan. i pick an area and then consult my backroad map books and go from there.we always get sidetracked anyways.usually by a forest fire.last year we found some fantastic places from being rerouted.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is what you want, but I only use G maps for places I have planned out ahead of time. All of the details, I store in a rolodex-like file called CintaNotes. It's free (for everything I want to do). It's searchable, you can use multiple tags on each "card" (file) you create, and add as many URLS as you want, or just write your own notes.

Probably other people use Evernote, but no matter how many times I try, I just can't grok that real well.